Please sign in to post.

GPS in Europe

I am looking for a portable GPS unit for use on European highways. Does anyone know of one that is for primary use in the US but has European maps already loaded? I am assuming that car chargers can be used both in the US and Europe without an adapter. Brand name and model would be appreciated.

Posted by
10344 posts

Larry: search box upper right, input GPS and you get 364 results just in Helpline, click on those and you'll find everything you ever wanted to know about the subject.

Posted by
9363 posts

Scroll down through the topics here. This has been a recent topic, and brand names and model numbers are listed.

Posted by
12172 posts

There are fairly recent GPS discussions on this site.

My GPS is a Tom Tom 920. The other unit that comes preloaded with Euro Maps is a Garmin Nuvi (not sure what number). If it's not preloaded, Euro maps can be expensive or unavailable. Make sure a unit can add Euro maps for a decent price before jumping at what seems to be a good price.

Tom Tom just came out with the 930 so the 920 price is dropping, I noticed it for sale on Costco.com for $299 (last month it was $450).

Posted by
850 posts

I think the deal that Brad found at Costco on the TomTom 920 is about the best one going right now. The car chargers can be used in the US and Europe without an adapter.

Posted by
57 posts

The Nuvi model numbers that have euro maps preloaded are the ones that end in 70 (like the 670, etc)

Posted by
875 posts

We got a TomTom 920 from Costco online cheaper than we could find anywhere else. It was invaluable on our drive in France in the rural areas where there were no road signs at all. I would highly recommend it. TomTom comes preloaded with European maps. This was our first time driving in Europe, and the TomTom made it almost effortless.

Posted by
345 posts

We just came back from our firt-time ever driving trip in Germany. I purchased a Garmin nuvi 270 a few months earlier so that I would be familiar with it. The 270 worked absolutely flawlessly in Germany. We drove (mainly) the Romantic Road from Munich to Würzburg and stopped in a couple of small towns. We also went to Nuremberg. The 270 got us to hotels and points of interest effortlessly.

Even in the old parts of cities, with small, narrow, obscure streets, the devise never let us down. If I missed a turn, the 270 instantly calculated either how to get back on the original route or calculated a new route. It was the biggest stress preventer I have ever encountered!

Posted by
25 posts

I used my Garmin to drive in Germany. I just purchased there Europe Maps and installed them. It worked great.

Tom

Posted by
27 posts

I bought my husband the Nuvi 370 for our trip next week to Europe. We bought it a few months early to get used to it. I'm not sure he realizes how really great a tool this is going to be. I do. It works fabulous. We paid $300 US by buying in the States online from Canada. Saved $150.

Posted by
32198 posts

I've been using a Garmin Nuvi 370 on recent trips to Europe, and so far it's been great (it comes pre-loaded with both North American & Europe maps). There have been a few times when it chose odd routes, so it's a good idea to have a good Map at hand as well. There were also a few times when I took a wrong turn, and the Nuvi simply said "recalculating" and got me sorted in short order!

Garmin also has some larger models with similar features. You'll have to decide whether you want to use this in "walking mode", or strictly for vehicle use. One reason I chose the 370 over larger models was due to the fact that it fits in a pocket easily.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
522 posts

This may sound like I'm being a grump, which is not my intent. I ask this out of basic curiosity: What is so great about GPS?

I don't use GPS in the US and rarely (never seriously) get lost. I've driven back roads, many unmapped, in many European countries, always without GPS. Between a good map - I love paper maps, they give much more context than GPS and are very tactile - road signs (regardless of how poor or what language) and a decent sense of direction, I've always gotten where I need to go. For me, one of the things I love about travel is the sense of discovery.

I've motorcycled with friends who are always looking at their bar-mounted GPS to find out where they should turn etc. Not me. I look up, read signs, read the landscape, and off I go, usually in the right direction.

So is it just a personal preference thing? Or does GPS offer something that I just haven't clued into yet? To me, GPS is one more barrier between me and the travel experience.

Please educate me.

Posted by
9363 posts

Mike, unlike you, many people don't have a good sense of direction, and a fair number of people aren't able to read maps. (Personally, I don't understand that, but it's true.) And there are lots of places where road signs are not merely poor or written in a strange language, they are nonexistent. GPS gives them a greater sense of confidence in their ability to get around, without getting lost, in a foreign country. GPS units also have other features, like showing where the closest gas station is. As someone who nearly ran out of gas in the boonies of northern Spain at night, driving through village after village looking for a station, I know how important that can be. It's great that you can get along without one, but it's because of the GPS that many people feel they are able to get out and have those experiences for themselves.

Posted by
12172 posts

I consider myself about as good of navigator as a person can be. I had driven in Northern Europe many times without a GPS and never felt I needed it. My German is decent and signage is clear to get to the city center and public parking. Finding an address isn't a problem because the roads have signs like at home.

Italy was a completely different story. Highway signs don't say A35 North, they give the name of several random towns (not the main ones) along that route. You find yourself scrambling with your map to see if those towns are the way you want to go.

If you know you want to take an exit soon to go West, the exit that looks like it heads West swings around and invariably takes you East.

A wrong exit on the toll ways can lose 10-20 minutes. The exits are very long, ending at a toll booth. You then have to find a way to cross the Autostrada and get on going the other way.

cont.

Posted by
12172 posts

The difficulty on the Autostrada is nothing compared to driving in towns and cities.

While all roads have names, virtually no roads have a sign and less than one in five buildings have a visible address (on a small tile over the door, if you stop, get out and look).

Even with some basic Italian under my belt, clear signage was almost impossible to find. I stopped often to ask directions (which was actually fun). If someone told me to turn left on Ponte Campione, for example, I'd head up the street, round the corner and realize there were four bridges, none of them marked.

We survived and even had fun. Since time is money on a vacation, however, I would have rather spent my time seeing sites of my choosing than trying to find my way.

Posted by
850 posts

I too was reluctant to travel with a gps having been a paper road map person and because I am somewhat old fashioned which I suppose is because I am somewhat old. When I purchased my gps last year I almost took it back because I did not think I would like it. Decided to keep it and boy was I glad I did. I became a gps convert and consider it to be the best travel investment I have made relative to driving in Europe. The advantages are well pointed out by Brad in his post. In addition it frees my wife up from having to constantly check the map and allows her to enoy more of the views as we travel. Also, the points of interest on the gps can come in handy. That said we still take a map with us because it does give us a better idea of our location on a broader perspective. But to get from point A to Point B the gps is great and if a turn is missed then it quickly reroutes to get back on track. The gps is good.

Posted by
10344 posts

For many of us, GPS is a way to increase fun and relaxation by reducing frustration and wasted time, so that your European vacation can be the way you want it to be. In the last year on this site, we must now be well over a hundred to zero in favor of GPS in Europe, considering the opinions of people who have at least tried it over there. We haven't yet had even one person who has tried GPS in Europe say: "Wouldn't use one again over there, not worth it." I'm sure we'll eventually hear from one or two grumps--but so what, it will still be a hundred to 1 in favor of GPS in Europe. Try it, then decide for yourself.

Posted by
2207 posts

I live in Italy - I drive in Italy - I use a GPS... and let my wife drive.

I think Brad has appropriately detailed the challenges of driving in Italy, and Kent has reflected on the board history... but Karen has it right. To save your marriage BUY ONE...

Now if I could just teach my wife how to use it so I could drive once in a while!!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
10344 posts

Ron: I enjoy reading your thoughts and your reply immediately above is an example of why. We're lucky to have you here sharing your replies with us. Keep up the good work, please!

Posted by
522 posts

Good answers, thanks all. Karen's economy with words is impressive.

Posted by
100 posts

The only down-side to GPS usage ( for me) is that when I navigate "on my own" using maps, line of sight, and dead reckoning- I personally am more sure of my location and orientation. The way to go North, etc.
When I rely heavily on my GPS to get someplace I arrive with less internal sense of place. Might just be my quirks, but I mentally imprint less of the route landmarks when relying on the screen for guidance.

I use a Garmin M3 model, which is a compact PDA wth built in GPS ( discontinued) that can slip into your shirt pocket.

Posted by
934 posts

I agree in the states you dont really need a GPS to find your way as maps are very good.Try to find a golf course,restaurant or other place without the GPS>They arnt listed on maps.Travel with a GPS is much better and in Italy as Brad and Ron said it is very necessary.

Posted by
522 posts

One of my favorite places to drive, believe it or not, has been Italy. Without GPS. The crazy windy roads that sometimes lead nowhere or turn into gravel for a few miles can be a spectacular discovery.

Posted by
2207 posts

Mike, you are a "hopeless romantic" - perfect for Italy! ;)

Yeah, we find those same gravel roads when my wife navigates and WE'RE USING THE GPS!!! Although I guess I'm not thinking "spectacular" at those moments... Gotta teach her how to read that thing...

Still navigating and "not driving" in Italy!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
522 posts

Well Ron, people who know me would say your assessment of me is half right. I'll let you guess which half ;>)