Please sign in to post.

Italy and France mid Sept to mid Oct 2008

I have never been to Europe and will be travelling with 3 friends this fall, for a tour of Italy and France. We have decided not to do an "organized" tour. The plan is to 2 weeks in Italy and then 2 in France. The rough itinerary includes stops in Venice,Florence,Rome, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Provence and Paris. We plan to do a quick pass through Cannes, Nice and Monaco.
We are looking for affordable accommodations in each place as well as recommendations for transportation. (ie, rent a car combined with train, or strictly train pass) We will likely do the the "top" touristy things. Should we purchase tickets ahead of time etc..etc..
It is fun doing the research, however, a little overwhelming with all of the information available.
Simplicity would be appreciated.
(I have obviously been reading about packing techinques...)
Thanks.

Posted by
12172 posts

In both Italy and France, a car will allow you to see more. You also set your own schedule. Four people sharing a car is almost always cheaper than train passes.

Since you are there for more than 17 days, you will be amazed how affordable a lease through either Renault or Peugot is compared to a regular rental.

Get a GPS or bring one from home with Euro maps. It will save you hours of hassle. Make sure it's speaking English before you drive away from the agency.

The cars are small, don't order the smallest car for four adults and remember to add space for your bags (hopefully one carry-on each). Gas is expensive but the cars get good mileage and the distances are shorter than here. A diesel gets better mileage and the fuel is a little cheaper than gas. Diesels run great and are very quiet.

Mid Sept to Mid October is a great time to visit. The crowds are manageable (but still good weather) and the prices for travel and lodging drop a ton, especially into October.

Posted by
12172 posts

Florence has a big penalty for driving in the city center unless you have a local plate. Lodging in Florence is also pricey. A place outside of town with parking and easy access to public transport downtown will work best. Get reservations for the Uffizi and Academia, you should have no trouble getting them a day or two in advance, so don't lock yourself in too early.

Venice parking is an expensive zoo. Rick has recommendations for parking and taking a train into Venice. Use his recommendation!

Cique Terra has limited parking. If you are there at the end of September, you will probably be able to get parking. I wouldn't try it in July or August.

There are lots of threads about Tuscany. Check them out and decide which towns seem right for you.

For lodging, I generally call budget places the morning before I arrive and find out what they have. You can save money by knowing how to book a room in Italian and French but it's not completely necessary. cont.

Posted by
12172 posts

cont.

Most budget hotels will have someone who speaks English (I usually start a call with Hello, Do you Speak English? in the local language. If they say yes, I say thank you and continue in English. If they say no, I say "I know a little French/Italian" in the local language and let them know what I need.

I think I get better room prices by not getting room reservations. When you call, don't say I want two double rooms. Rather say, we are four people and plan to stay for 3 nights, do you have something available that isn't too expensive? I also let them know seperate bathrooms are fine and I can pay cash.

You may get an apartment for less than their posted price for two rooms.

Finally, If I were taking your trip, I'd start in France and end in Italy. It's best in the fall to start North and work South. It gives you the best chance for good weather. Do the opposite in the Spring.

Hope this helps, have a great trip!

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Alana. Read about places for overnight accomodation in the books "Rick Steves' FRANCE 2008", and "Rick Steves' ITALY 2008". In those books, the prices are for "high season". The prices could be lower in October. At some hotels in Europe the price is lower than the published price if it is paid in cash. At some B & Bs the price is lower if people stay there three nights (or more). At some accomodations breakfast is included in the price. At some hotels "breakfast" is a "continental breakfast" (coffee, bread, juice). At some B & Bs, and at few hotels, breakfast is a good buffet breakfast.

Posted by
206 posts

I do not recommend driving to Cannes - it seemed like the traffic there was always bad when I visited (September). I believe a train goes from there to Monaco (and other places, of course). Good luck on finding reasonably-priced accomodations there, too. If there are any, I'm sure some of the knowledgable folks on this board would know. :-) Have a great trip, it sounds like fun!