Please sign in to post.

Packing list?

Does anyone have a good packing list? I'm traveling to Spain & Portugal for 24 days with a good size backpack in July. The weather will be hot; low 80's high 100's in the places we are going. I am an overpacker and have no clue what is appropriate to pack. We want to by some clothes in Europe but in all likelyhood not sure how much time we will have for that.

We are 24 and also plan on going out at night to bars & clubbing etc...is there a dress code for clubs or is it more casual? Do most people wear jeans or skirts etc?

Any suggestions? Thanks! ~Anna

Posted by
91 posts

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/womenpack.htm

There is also a more detailed list on this site.

I am not able to comment on the clubbing seen as I am beyond the clubbing years!!!! However, my opinion is that overdressed (i.e. a skirt) is better than to be underdressed for any situation.

good travels!

Posted by
800 posts

Anna - when my daughter went with friends after high school they had no problem packing more clothes than you'd think because young women's clothes are pretty lightweight for summer. Think light summer skirts and light knit shirts. They only problem they had in clubs is that my daughter only brought flip-flop type shoes - sturdy expensive ones but the bouncer at one of the clubs in London told her "no flip flops". They just went to another club.

Posted by
2788 posts

Anna - if you live in Seattle, I suggest you go up to Rick Steves Headquarters in Edmonds, WA for lots of free information including classes on packing light. Give them a call.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Anna, In Spain when they go out at night they definitely like to 'look good', dress up, etc... I cant really recommend what to wear for a woman, but you will never see sandals or shorts (on men). I think for clubs/discos they definitely dress up more than if going out to a bar.

I think referring to pre-made packing lists is a bit bogus, only you know what you need.

If you like night life, your going to have a blast, Spanish nightlife is INSANE.

Posted by
421 posts

most places in europe they tend to dress up more at night including the night clubs.

I think those packing lists are good starting points but you need to tweak them for your own needs.

Just like when I go I need to include an outfit or two for the nightclubs as well and even for men I find I end up taking an extra pair of shoes than most people bring but I try to make sure they will do for best as well as the clubs.

Posted by
93 posts

Anna, Pack your normal things just rolled up tight for an island get-away..they'll go a long way..Bring a little black strappie mini dress in Jersey or Nylon...they wash and wear easy and are always acceptable so long as they aren't in disrepair...also can double as a bathing suit cover up if need be...add a nice pair of hoop earrings and you're set....remember you'll be showing off that body you've worked on by backpacking in JULY!!