Please sign in to post.

Carry on bags on Lufthansa

The web site states 1 carry on and 1 personal item, such as a purse. Does the 18lb limit apply to the two bags combined? I was thinking about using my day pack as my "purse," and need to know: 1) if i can do that, and 2) if its weight has to be included with my larger backpack to be under the weight limit. Has anyone flown Lufthansa recently? I'm flying from DC to Beijing.

Posted by
19099 posts

Go to Lufthansa's website and read their page on cabin baggage. Sound like the weight limit applies to just to the actual carry-on bag, but that a day bag would not be considered a "purse". The personal item has to fit under the seat in front of you.

Personal items include:
A handbag, wrist bag or small bag (or small laptop bag) and their content
A coat, shawl or blanket
A small camera or a pair of binoculars
An appropriate amount of reading material for the journey
A infant carrier and baby food for the flight

Posted by
7 posts

I read the info on their website, which left me with the question of whether the 18 lb limit means the carry on AND the personal item. The day pack I'm taking is the size of a laptop bag. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Posted by
19099 posts

The site does say that each piece has to be 8kg (17.6#) maximum, so I don't think the personal item has to be included in the weight, but don't push it on the personal item. That item has to be able to be put under the seat. My laptop bag is 12"x10"x4" and it has never even raised eyebrows, but I've seen some pretty big laptop bags (remember the site says "a small laptop bag"). I noticed that a "day bag" sold here was 13x10x7. I don't think that would qualify as a personal item.

But it is really up to the airline, not to anyone here.

Posted by
166 posts

Your carry on bag is exactly that. Your purse is not weighed at check in but your carry on is.

Greg

Posted by
7 posts

The day pack I use is small and fits easily under the seat. Thanks for the info. Happy travels!