Please sign in to post.

accessibility

Hi there,
I am a person with a disability who uses an electric wheelchair and would love to travel abroad on a cruise ship. What are the most accessible destinations within Europe and which cruise line would you recommend?

Katrina

Posted by
5678 posts

Did you check out the accessible Europe link on the Graffiti Board? It might help. I expect that you will face challenges.

Posted by
53 posts

Where there is a will there is a way! I was on a bus tour a few years ago and we had a travel partner in a wheel chair. She did just fine. The driver was always quick to get her chair out from under the bus and get her comfortable. An electric wheelchair may be a different story. Do you have a helpful person going with you?

Posted by
582 posts

I don't know much about cruise lines, but if you should ever visit a modern city like Berlin, you shouldn't have a problem getting around. Berlin is on the up and is re building and putting up new buildings all over the place. This means more ramps and many buildings there has lifts.
The capitol of Germany the Reichstags building has a glass dome that is so much fun to climb and see a great view. There are ramps around the dome, and it's not all that steep. I should think with an electric wheel chair you can easily get up the dome.
So that is my suggestion on a destination in Europe. You would love Berlin!! But I guess Berlin would be a part of a bus tour, and like the poster said above, bus tours can be very good for you!
Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip!!!

Posted by
335 posts

I've only travelled to Greece and France but would say that these places are NOT easily accessible. Paris especially is bad, with steps for the Metro, buses, etc. Maybe if you ride around on a bus all day, it would work; but if you want to get out and really see things, probably not. Holly

Posted by
808 posts

A good Travel Agent/Consultant will have accurate up-to-date info on accesssable travel. They can help you plan your trip so there should be few surprises while abroad.
Good for you for not letting anything stop you!