Please sign in to post.

Opera

My friend and I are wanting to go to an opera while touring Italy next month. Any suggestions on where we should go to see one?

Posted by
2207 posts

Been to La Scala in Milan and it's truly worth the experience... Also many operas available in Rome at multiple venues! In Lucca they have the Puccini festival during the summer! And Verona is a favorite of my wife's - We're making our plans to spemd a weekend there and catch an opera!

Sometimes in Piazza Navona we're treated to Arias from a few "independent contractors" - saw one today... and he was pretty good!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
582 posts

As a professional musician, I can tell you Milan Italy is wonderful to see an opera! The down side, it's very hard to get tickets, and you need to book tickets in about one year in advance. But you should still try to get the tickets for next month. You never know unless you try!! Also Vienna Austria, but again you need to book in advance. (oh, you asked about Italy, but perhaps Vienna on another trip.)
So wonderful you have this interest and want to hear the best!
Have fun in Italy! I'm going to be in Milan and Venice this fall!

Posted by
12172 posts

Milan is the obvious choice.

Another great choice is the Roman ampitheater in Verona. I've been there but it was after opera season. It's now on my to-do list.

Posted by
12040 posts

I've never traveled to Italy, but I've seen opera throughout the rest of Europe. In my experience, even for the top opera companies (Mariinski, Vienna, Berlin, Paris Grand, etc) you can purchase seats from ticket agents, much like for musicals in New York or London. See if a ticket agent can help you get seats for La Scala in Milan.

Posted by
632 posts

I agree with Ron...try to get in La Scalla...it is breath taking (and of course the best of the best in opera is regularly performed there). I checked the schedule and it looks like they are in "the season" during June...start searching for tickets now (via internet), and don't hesitate to ask your hotel to help (if you are booked into Milan). The Lucca experience is a wonderful operatic performance. We were there in October and they performed several pieces from Puccini and Mozart. These are performed year round every night in a converted church.

Posted by
405 posts

I saw La Traviata in the Roman Arena in Verona a few years ago and sat in a 'general admission' non reserved (cheapest) seat a few years ago. It was worth waiting outside the theatre for 2 hours before gates opened on a really hot day in late July. The atmosphere is amazing!

Posted by
3313 posts

Others might know if this is possible at La Scala or at other Italian operas, but I was able to buy standing room tickets at the Vienna opera the day of the show. They have a standing area with railing and you tie a scarf or a jacket to the railing to reserve your place.

As I said, others might be able to advise if this is possible in Milan or elsewhere in Italy.

Posted by
2207 posts

Not possible to get SRO at La Scala when I attended. We got some of the last seats available...