Please sign in to post.

voltage

we want to bring a phone and video camera to europe. My husband once fried an electric shaver even tho he used an adapter. Any sites that explain how not to ruin your equipment with foreign currents in europe (italy, switzerland, france)

Posted by
1003 posts

It depends on whether your equipment's plug has a built in converter or not. By the plugs, it should say. Most video/camera equipment and phone chargers are okay with just the adapter. An electric shaver (or other electricity-heavy things like hair dryers, irons sometimes, etc.,) you will also need a CONVERTER (much heavier and more expensive than the little adapters). But to know for sure, check your appliances' plugs - if it says something like "Input: 110v-240v" you are fine with just the adapter and you won't fry it.

Posted by
800 posts

To clarify what prior poster said - there are two issues with using US electrical items (chargers, shaver, hair dryer):

1. Voltage - this is the one where if you get it wrong you will fry your stuff. In the US we use 120, in Europe it is 220 volts. A lot of new stuff (my digital camera's charger, my husband's laptop charger) will identify that it is safe to use at either voltage - on the charger it will say something like 100-240. You can use these in Europe provided you have the right adaptor (see below). Older equipment (my old travel hairdryer) may have a switch that you manually turn from 120 to 220.

2. Adaptor - once you know that your equipment can handle the voltage you need to get an adaptor. The plugs are different in Europe countries. A travel store will sell you a set of adaptors. There are websites that will show you a picture of which one to bring depending on where you will travel.

Posted by
112 posts

Realize that many trains, hotels and B&BS (especially in UK and Ireland, though also found on continent often enough) have outlets in the bathroom that are specifically for shavers only - and happen to run on 110 and accept US style plugs along with the UK or Euro style pins. Always found this odd.

Posted by
104 posts

Adapter vs Convertor

Most appliances unless they heat will work with an Adapter (think 2 prong to 3 prong in US)

Convertors are usually large square that you plug in and then plug the item into.

My camera only needed an adapter.

You phone unless it's SIM card is for Europe will be useless except in US.

Posted by
25 posts

FYI - a US TMobile phone will work in Europe if you call customer service and activate it (no charge)....it will cost you $0.99/minute to use though