Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam layover

I am wondering if it would be feasible on a layover from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm to leave the airport and take a canal tour or some other sort of sightseeing venture. I have never been to Schipol so I don't know the logistics of such an idea. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
852 posts

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm

Hi Randy,
... At Schipol, you can catch a subway car to Centraal Station in Amsterdam. It's not a long trip. The above link is Michelin's which can give you trip times even if you are walking. Just copy + paste the link into your Internet address box and then hit ENTER on your keyboard. Undoubtedly, you can formulate a tour plan to get you back to Schipol on time. Be sure you know what time you are expected back. Happy Touring!... P

Posted by
658 posts

As Perry says - you have plenty of time.

Trains to Centraal Station leave regularly ( take the SnelTrain not the StoppenTrain ). The train station ticket desks are on the same level as the arrivals hall. Ask for a Dag Retour ( day return ) ticket to Amsterdam Centraal.

When you exit Centraal turn right, the canal tours are about 100 yards away.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the info, sounds like we'll get to see a bit of Amsterdam other than the inside of the airport!!!
Much appreciated

Posted by
208 posts

Randy - check by the Rijksmuseum at Schiphol - there was a place you can take excursions with your layover. I think it was a minimum 3 hour layover. If you're walking towards the Rijksmuseum, it is on your left. Don't forget to check the museum itself - they had some lovely Van Gogh's earlier this week!