Please sign in to post.

Camcorder

Okay so technically not a travel question but someone had brought it up in another forum and I need advice.

I'm thinking about buying a camcorder - nothing too expensive - for our European trip this summer. I have my handy camera too but sometimes its nice being able to see reactions and faces and voices to go along with this great experience.

I've heard the Sony & Cannon DVD camcorders are pretty cool. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Posted by
61 posts

I just bought my first one for our Euro trip this summer. I chose the Canon ZR950 because it was a good combination of price and features. I did a lot of research, and my second choice was a Sony HRC62.

Ultimately, it came down to which one would work best with my MacBook. If you have a PC you can choose any model, but there are some quirky things with Mac.

Try www.cnet.com for research.

Posted by
1568 posts

You cannot go wrong with eith the Sony or the Cannon. I happen to have the Cannon.

Posted by
69 posts

I have a Sony with a 30g hard drive. It needs no dvd's or tapes. You just transfer it right to your computer. Of course, that means you have to have a computer with you if you plan to video alot. But I do love it. I just burn it onto a DVD on my computer.
Stella

Posted by
115 posts

I just bought the JVC Everio 40Gb Video Camera for my holiday and I love it!! Because it has a 40Gb HDD (Hard Disk Drive) I dont have to worry about carrying tapes, cd/dvds around with me!

Posted by
93 posts

I got a Sony Xacti digital movie camera for Christmas. It's fairly cheap, it uses the XD cards (like digital cameras), and it works really good. It's very small and also takes really nice still pictures (5 megapixel, 10 interpolated.

I plan on wearing it around my neck and under my shirt- it's that small and light.

Posted by
95 posts

I haven't had a lot of experience using it, but my brother has one of the flip video cameras. I think it cost around 140-150. By no means a top of the line camcorder, I think he's enjoyed having it due to its size (can slip right into a pants pocket) and ease of use.

I've noticed on his that the picture quality is not as good if you start zooming and moving around quickly but for normal view and slow movements returns a pretty decent picture. You do have to have a computer with you though as it only holds an hour worth of recording.