Please sign in to post.

city maps

I am traveling to several large cities (Prague, Budapest, Venice, Florence, and Rome) and had a few questions about city maps:

1. Do the travel information offices offer good free maps ?
  2. If not, is it cheaper to buy maps in the US (maps here seem to be going for $6-$7)?
  3. Any suggestions on good maps ? The Streetsmart and Rough Guide maps look pretty good.
Posted by
2353 posts

I like the Popup Maps - they fold to 3 x 5 size and are perfect if you're just hitting the central part of a city. I've used them in Paris, Rome, Florence, and Venice. If you're driving, you'll need something else with more detail. Streetwise maps are also good because they're laminated.

The TIs do have maps, but they're often crowded with tourist information that makes the maps gigantic sized.

Posted by
166 posts

I like Streetwise Maps, they are very thorough plus they fold up nice and last forever.

Greg

Posted by
473 posts

We've had excellent success with the Streetwise maps. Especially in Venice, where our map had quite a few streets that other tourists's maps didn't have. They can be purchased at Borders, Barnes & Noble, and www.streetwisemaps.com.

Posted by
1455 posts

As one posted, the TI maps are full of ads for the merchants.

You can try your auto club for maps if you can't find the ones you want from a regular bookstore.

I've found some of my best maps while traveling in their city. Like here, even the locals need a map to know where to go.

Posted by
1158 posts

I only got free maps in Paris and Athens, Greece.They were pretty good.
You also can print them from the internet for free. Use a color printer.