Please sign in to post.

tap water

Can you get free tap water at a resturant in Germany?

Posted by
7511 posts

Certainly, but most, including locals, opt for bottled or just drink beer or softdrinks. Germany is not quite like Italy where bread and a bottle of water shows up on every table (and the bill).

Posted by
258 posts

Yes, but you have to specifically ask for it.

Posted by
12172 posts

Not only do you have to ask for it, you will have to make it clear that you want tap water.

If you order water in Germany, they will most likely think you mean mineral water (a very common order).

If you say plain water, they are inclined to bring bottled water with no fizz.

At one time I thought the waiters did this to "gouge" the tourist. Now I realize tap water just isn't a normal order and takes some explaining.

They also don't do the volume of ice we are used to. If you get a caraffe of tap water, don't expect it to be filled with ice. I think this has more to do with the cost of running an ice machine.

Posted by
2297 posts

Yup, you really have to be very clear when ordering tap water. I am German and don't know anyone among my family and friends who would order tap water in a restaurant, it's just not done. I'm the odd one out because it's a habit I've picked up after living abroad for decades. That said, if you ask politely and clearly they will bring you "Leitungswasser".

However, as mentioned above ice is not the norm. Again, that is more a cultural issue. As most Germans would not like tons of ice in their drinks restaurants don't invest in technology to produce ice en masse and only have small amounts on hand. While my taste buds did adjust to tap water I still don't like buckets of ice in any drink ;-)

Posted by
7511 posts

And I certainly did not mean to imply that the Italians or anyone are bringing bottled water to gouge you, just that it is almost expected that you will have it. As for the ice, I have come to accept that I will not get ice in a drink. Does not bother me, but drove my wife crazy on our first trip.