Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help Please!!!

I am backpacking in September 2008. This will be my first trip and I just want to make sure my itinerary is feasible. Thanks in advance for any help!

-London - 5 days
-Paris - 7 days (includes travel from London)
-Nice - 3 days (includes travel from Paris and also evening train to Milan)
-Morning flight from Milan to Athens + 1 more day in Athens
- 3 days in Mykonos, Greece (includes ferry ride to Mykonos)
- Athens - 1 more day (includes ferry ride from Mykonos)
- Venice - 3 days (includes travel from Milan)
- Florence - 2 days (includes travel from venice)
- Rome - 4 days (includes travel from Florence)

My main concern is that trying to visit Greece will be more work than its work with such a short period of time. I have always wanted to see Greece but with a limited amount of time, it might not be right for this trip. In place of Greece, I am considering rearranging my itinerary and travelling to spain. Any suggestions?

Posted by
1455 posts

Amanda, if your gut feeling is you are cutting yourself too thin with Greece, skip it and consider yourself returning in the future. Remember, Rick says always assume you WILL be going back.

My first time I crammed all my cities and I was exhausted. YOu seem to be pacing yourself just right, with plenty of time to see and taste the sites.

IMHO I would remove Greece, and either spend more time in Italy or do Spain as you suggested... with the intent Greece will be your next destination on your next trip!

Posted by
632 posts

I vote with Michelle..

Skip Greece this time, add time in France and Italy...say a couple of days in Provence and a couple of days in Milan, and 3 days in Florence. Full disclosure...I have nothing against Greece...we are going there this September...but I know that you will enjoy yourself more if you can slow down a little. I strongly suggest that you reserve Spain and Greece for future trips (in 2005 we spent 3 weeks in Spain and just brushed the surface).

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Amanda. I think your itinerary is good. I think there is no need to change any of it. You want to be at an island of Greece for two whole days, and I recommend that you do that. Mykonos is in the Cyclades islands group at the Aegean Sea. I was at an island in the Cyclades islands, and I am glad I went there: a Greek island is a very different environment from the other places in Europe that you will be at. In the total number of days that you will be in Europe, you can go to all those places that you want to go to. I do not see any problem in that travel plan.

Posted by
1358 posts

You have planned more than you can see. You will be too exhausted after a few days to enjoy travel. I always leave two half days a week just to rest or relax.

Write your itinerary and set aside time for everything you plan, including travel.