Please sign in to post.

Safety

I have been browsing the Rick Steves website and noticed all the comments regarding scams, pickpockets and lack of safety in Europe. I am a single mom taking my 10 and 12 year old daughters to Europe for a month this summer and after reading all these comments I am starting to wonder if I made a terrible mistake. Can someone comment on the safety of Europe?

Posted by
805 posts

Don't worry about it, really. You are far less likely in Europe to be a victim of violent crime than in the US (well maybe not in Appleton but in larger cities). It is more likely that you will get pick pocketed but as long as you keep your wits about you and take some basic precautions (like wearing a money belt) you should be fine. No one in my family, in all of our trips to Europe, has EVER been a victim of crime.

Posted by
4 posts

David,

Thank you for your reply. I have been to Western and Eastern Europe several times. The girls and I spent 2 weeks in Croatia last year so it isn't like we have never traveled, but this is the first time I will be traveling to europe without friends or not on a tour. I feel like I have been careful planning this trip, nice hotels in safe areas, private tours of the city, flying instead of overnight trains, I bought the girls security alarms for their purses etc. I thought I would look at the "current scam" section and in doing so I thought wow something happened since I was last in Europe. I haven't been to France or Italy since 1985 so it has been a while, but I remember Italians to be extremely helpful and friendly. I am assuming if I use the same rules I do for traveling in any large city, no eye contact, keep an eye on your belongings and ignore strangers trying to speak to you.

Posted by
10344 posts

Keep your ATM card, credit card & some large euro bills (emergency reserve) in a money-belt, neck pouch, or similar device worn under your clothing--Rick thinks that's maybe the most important safety rule, then you have little to worry about. In the last year this subject has been discussed several hundred times and (in at least the last year) we've never had anyone report they had anything pick-pocketed from a properly worn money-belt.

Posted by
4555 posts

Beth...these scams have been going on since long before you were last in Europe in '85....so that tells you the odds are pretty long you'll be affected. But we always like to make sure people are prepared!

Posted by
11507 posts

Beth,, whoa calm down. Alarms for a 10 yr olds purse, I have heard everything now!! LOL What would( or should) a child that age even have worth stealing. A purse should only contain a days spending money and a mint and lip gloss, that goes for a child or adult. Money belt or your hotel safe for passport and CC and Atm cards.
I am going alone with my daughter this summer, she will have just turned 12. I have gone alone, with a friend , and alone with my 14 yr old son. I never felt unsafe, nor did I ever feel the need to go overboard and book tours( although I did take one to Loire Valley Chateau as I refuse to rent a car or drive in Europe) or expensive hotel rooms.

I have also never encountered too many scammers,and I have never been pickpocketed..and I assure you I feel MUCH safer in Paris then I do in LA , Las Vegas, Reno, Hawaii, or even Seattle.
Remember for all the warnings you read there are thousands and thousands of tourists who encountered no problems at all.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you speak a language other than English, I found that this is the one thing that discourages these leaches more than anything else. My fiancee and I (both of whom speak English, Dutch and some French) tried a little experiment. Even though we were obviously tourists, we spoke to each other only in Dutch around Sacre Coeur. When we saw these guys approaching, we let the Dutch fly. They backed off instantly when they heard us. I guess Americans have, over the years, proved to be easier marks than Europeans. Traveling in the winter, when it is easier to blend in, helps as well.

Posted by
1806 posts

Europe is very safe and the only city I really saw a lot of harassment of tourists was in Paris with the "Do You Speak English? Can You Help Me?" Brigade. It's pretty simple to spot them and they are easy enough to get rid of if you look at them like you don't have a clue what language they are speaking in, or you just blow right past them - they know some other sucker will stop for them in the next 5 minutes.

I'm not sure what a purse alarm is going to do for your pre-teens, but I wouldn't think a 10 or 12 year old needs to carry more than the equivalent of $20 USD on any given day - especially if you are with them.

Keep your money stashed away, don't flash large bills or expensive jewelry in public, look around before you tap an ATM, be aware of your kids and surroundings and don't smile at absolutely everyone you pass by on the street. That may sound jaded, but it's the same advice I would give a European travelling to any large American city.

Posted by
405 posts

Ceidleh is right. Further to her comment, I would add that, while walking in Italy, it's best not to make eye contact with males. eye contact is often seen as an invitation.

Posted by
1806 posts

One other thing regarding your kids...

The most important thing they should be carrying in their purses every day is the name, address and telephone number of the hotel you are staying at should anything occur where they become separated from you in a crowd. A 10 and 12 year old may not take note of exactly where they are staying as they depend on you, the parent, to navigate for them.

If in a non-English speaking country and they don't know the language, give them a small piece of paper that says "I'm lost, please contact the police and my mother at XYZ Hotel" in the local language. Instruct them to find an authority figure if possible (police, security guard), maybe a store owner or at least another mother or female.

Posted by
440 posts

Beth, I travelled overseas with young kids. They had the current address (for wherever we were touring )as well as their home address in their jeans pocket. We never had any problems; I never expected I would have actually. You and the girls will have the most amazing time and hold those memories dear for a long time to come. Relax. Enjoy. You are an experienced traveller who knows how to travel safely.

Posted by
53 posts

My only thought is that your daughters should be taught to say no in a firm manner it you have not already done this. Be sure you give them permission to say no forcefully if warranted. This is useful in scary situations but I think it would more than likely only be needed in case of the bracelet scam. From observation I think teenage girls and younger women are more often targeted for the bracelet scam. Females should know how to say no forcefully anyway, and young women should practice this. That said, not everyone is out to get something from you. We have had lovely experiences of locals stopping to explain their culture and be helpful. It is smart to be on your guard in crowded tourist places. You will be fine!

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am feeling much better :)

I didn't explain what I meant about purse alarms. I bought the girls small purses to carry a small amount of money, name, address, phone number etc. but I got each of them a small security alarm that hooks to their purses in case they get grabbed or we get separated.

Posted by
401 posts

I don't think that bringing alarms is a good idea. Your daughters are old enough to be aware of their surroundings and stay with you, just like they would if they were at the mall with you in Wisconsin or at a ballgame at a stadium.
Crime statistics are much, much lower in Europe than in the US, and other than being wary around tourist hotspots with people pan handling or selling things, just like you would be if you were in NYC, you will be fine. After eight years of living in Europe, I feel more unsafe when I come visit the US.
I'd be more concerned about these alarms going off by mistake in the Louvre or in some church and then you really would have some problems!

Posted by
808 posts

I don't travel with kids let alone have any...just a Fur Kid.
But I can tell you what my Mom taught me when we were travelling...

If you're lost go to someone in a Uniform, idealy a Police Officer or if you are lost at a hotel, go to the Front Desk or Customer service at a Store or whatever...And if you can't do that, go to a Mom with other kids.

I'd personally consider having my Child fingerprinted and photographed with an Organization like ChildFind. It's good to carry recent photos incase, God forbid, one wanders off.

I don't think you've made a mistake at all in taking your children to Europe. Use caution and common sense and I'm sure you will be fine!

Safe Travels,

F/A