Please sign in to post.

Sharing Meals

My wife and I don't eat as much as we used to. Is it acceptable for us to buy an hors douvre and one meal and share that? I know "doggie bags" are unheard of in Europe. We will be in Germany, France, Spain, Italy & Greece.

Posted by
3313 posts

In short, yes. Perhaps not in a formal restaurant but at most cafes, it's OK. Just don't ask for an extra plate.

Posted by
199 posts

We've found it very easy to do all over Europe. For example, last fall we spent two weeks in Italy and split meals most evenings. It's a good way to keep your costs --and weight -- down. The multi-course Italian dinner can be very expensive and too much to eat. We typically split a salad and an antipasto plate, and each got our own pasta. Once in awhile we would split a main course, too. With the terrible exchange rate we managed to keep our dinner costs reasonable, and always had plenty to eat.

Posted by
1358 posts

Depends on the restaurant management....just as it does here. We always split a meal. Only once have I been refused by the chef. I never ask in the US but always ask in Europe.

Most waiters will volunteer an extra plate. We have even had waiters who will bring each of us a potato instead of splitting one. And some will bring two salads.

You can never predict the treatment. Once in Switzerland we were treated so well and the food was so good we returned every day that week for our major meal.