Please sign in to post.

ATM machines

I am on my first trip using ATMs for cash. I am spending a few days in Toronro en route.

Most of the ATMs I am finding in the airport and downtown areas seem to be provided by private companies, although I have found and used bank machines.

How much additional fee/cost is attached to these private machines? Are they common in Europe, particularly Ireland?

Thanks.

Posted by
10344 posts

Rick answers your questions here: Money 101

Posted by
207 posts

Dear Robert,
I have had little trouble finding ATM's in Europe including the British isles. One suggestion: bring some Euros with you to Ireland so that you don't have to use the ATM at the Airport. You tend to do better downtown or the center of villages where they are also used by the locals. George, Pittsburgh

Posted by
769 posts

They should show the cost or fee on the receipt when it spits out if they charge one there. you will have to ask your bank what they charge on top of that (usually 3% and $5 seems common).

Posted by
11507 posts

Robert here in Canada the machine must inform you of the extra fee before you finalize the transaction, you can opt out. I personally hate those machines and won't use them unless I am in a real pinch.
In London and Paris I just used which ever bank machine had the Plus or Cirrus symbol on them , never had a problem and in France I never had any extra charges attached, I can't remember London as I haven't been there in almost 4 yrs.

Posted by
440 posts

Robert, if you ask your bank, or check their website, ATM charges should be listed somewhere. There are I think additional charges when overseas, so don't take money out everyday - withdraw enough for a few days at least. Take some cash with you also to get you through the first few days.