Please sign in to post.

My Way Alpine Tour ???

I'm thinking about this tour. I'm traveling solo and my calendar is wide open.

1. What would be the best time to go?

2. If I add it to a longer trip, say, start with Vienna, then train to Salzburg for the tour, then from Chamonix to ??? Maybe France (Alsace, then Paris?), would there be a better time to go?

3. If my &#^$@ knee goes out and I can't hike, would there be enough to make it worthwhile - walking, etc., just not too strenuous?

Any other thoughts or advice?
Thank you, thank you.

Posted by
104 posts

Hello Chani,
Thank you for your interest in Rick Steves' Europe.
1) The My Way Alpine tour is only offered in late Spring- early Fall to try for good weather conditions for the tour. May and September are in the high 60 with an average of 20 days without rain, June-August are in the mid to high 70s with an average of 22 days without rain.
2) Late spring to early fall is a wonderful time to be anywhere in France. If you need assistance with planning you can book a consult with one of our travel experts. There is further info about this on our website.
3) There are less strenuous hikes through the valley that you can take where the grade is mostly flat with wild flowers everywhere.

The Alsace region and then Paris would be a wonderful way to end this tour. If you go this route try to add 5 days in the Alsace and 5-7 days in Paris. Especially if you have never been to Paris before. I hope this helps!

Posted by
17228 posts

September would be my choice. This would put you in Paris later! when it is not so hot.

We have been in the Alps and Dolomites in June, July, August, and September, and each time there was a mix of rainy days and sunny ones. Late June had wildflowers and fewer people, but it was the rainiest trip.

Posted by
8299 posts

I agree with the above postings. The Austrian Alps and Dolomites are best in late Spring. The weather in July and August is also glorious. It rained every afternoon between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m., but the weather was sunny and great otherwise.

We returned from Vienna April, 2014. We never tire of that great city that's so full of tourist sights. We've got to where we travel in April most of the time looking for lower airfares and cooler temperatures.

Posted by
11507 posts

I have been in alps twice.. once in july and once in august.. nice weather and trail conditions both times( not sunny all the time though) .. we did hear that the trails in some areas can still have snow through early june.. so I would think july, august and September would be ideal.. with a nod to late august and then ending in Paris in mid to late September.

Posted by
3838 posts

Here's someone who just wrote a Trip Report on that very trip:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/trip-report-my-way-12-days-in-the-alps
Perhaps you could send her a PM and ask her a few questions.
And I know what you mean about cursing your knee. I also have a knee that sometimes suddenly "goes out" on me for no good reason. Swelling, locks up, etc. Here's hoping your knee doesn't act up while you're on your trip!

Posted by
14545 posts

Chani, I just finished the 21 day tour mid Sept. While in Switzerland our guide said he had to shovel steps into snow on his 2 trips thru the area in June so his group could hike. He also indicated that doesnt happen every year but that would make me want to travel in Sept as others suggested.

I also agree with getting to Paris later in Sept.

I also did a valley walk in Lauterbrunnen area going from Truemmelbach Falls to Stechelberg where our hotel was located. It was pretty flat and easy but gorgeous. I loved looking at the houses, livestock, paragliders, squirrel suit fliers, waterfalls, and green!! It was paved part of the way and dirt partway. A couple of people in our group with knee issues hiked a longer way along here instead of doing something higher up.

Posted by
32320 posts

Chani,

My suggestion would also be September, as I've found that the weather at that time of year is usually good (but of course no guarantees). The weather should also be good in the other places you'll visiting.

Posted by
15768 posts

Well, I just looked at the calendar. September is out because of the Jewish holidays. In fact it looks like I may well be spending them in the U.S.

Would you go in June - July? Or wait until 2016? I can be happy in Paris any time. . .

Posted by
1255 posts

Hi, Chani.

I was on the very first My Way Alpine tour in July 2013. As this was the year this tour was piloted, there were not as many dates to choose from. The July tour happened to fit my schedule that year, though as others have noted, September is a fine time in the Alps. I like to see the cows come down from the mountains. July 2013 was very warm, especially in Bolzano, Fussen, and Chamonix. I was in northern France this July and it was cool. The weather is a toss-up.

June vs. July: I would select earlier in June if possible for a very specific reason, which may or may not impact alpine tourism: the increase in folks traveling as summer school holidays begin, including what appears to be a growing number of organized active teen tours.

I started my pre-tour in Innsbruck and took the train to Salzburg. Alsace after Chamonix sounds like fun.

Mobility: I agree with what Sara said. There are many options to strenuous hiking. Some of our tour members were definitely there for the more active hiking, while others of us, while steadily on the go, opted for a more relaxed tempo. I did notice, somewhat to my chagrin, that it took me about twice as long to complete any walk compared to what was posted in the tour book or on local signposts.

In sum, given my druthers, I think I would select June over July, but the July trip I did was very enjoyable, offered lots of opportunity to be with others or be on one's own; opt for off-the-beaten path experiences or go with the flow - even Hohenschwangau with its many visitors was charming. My biggest wow was overcoming my fear of steep mountain cable trips. Fantastic!

I don't think you can go wrong for any of the dates for this trip. Check out the 2013 scrapbooks here: https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/scrapbooks/tour-alum-scrapbooks.

Debbie