Please sign in to post.

Food in Paris

I am wondering what it will cost for a continental breakfast and for a light lunch--crepes or a sandwich--in Paris. I will be staying around Rue Clere.

Posted by
3313 posts

And, to echo Pat, if you do leave the Rue Cler area, you might meet some French people!

Posted by
2030 posts

As of January, a continental breakfast of coffee, juice, croissant is around 5.80 Euro -- at least this is what it was at a cafe in the Place des Vosges, definitely a more upscale place. An omlet lunch there cost me around 12E -- generally what I paid for a sit down lunch.
The walk away sandwiches, which are pretty good, are around 3.50 to 3.80 Euros --this was the price at stands around Notre Dame.

Yes, there are some good restaurants on Rue Cler -- but there are many many more places to eat in Paris!

Posted by
1806 posts

Figure on about 5 Euro if you are willing to get takeaway for a crepe & small drink, or a sandwich.

Around 12 Euro will buy you a light lunch in some sit down restaurants (ex. salad w/ goat cheese, bread, 1 glass of wine or large crepe w/ side salad and 1 cup of hard cider).

Found these prices to be about the norm in most all neighborhoods, not just Rue Cler area.

Posted by
56 posts

I really enjoyed the omelets in Marais area of Paris. They seem so much better there. They are usually served with bread and a garden salad. Plan on about 8-9 euros at most cafes.

Posted by
11507 posts

PLEASE folks,, it is OK to wander OUT of the " Rue Cler " nieghborhood,, even Rick Steves would be dissappointed to think so many people seem to cling to one area like this.. have lunch and breakfast where ever you want, the farther down a side street away from any tourist site, the cheaper the meal will be,, LOL

PS Crepes are a favorite lunch,, 5 euros often includes a soda, great deal.

Posted by
2349 posts

Prices listed above are what we recently found. The food "pour emporter" (to go) is much cheaper. However, often it was raining when we were ready for a meal, so we could either pay more and eat inside in comfort, or take away and eat in the rain or in the metro station.

Posted by
12040 posts

A take-away sandwich and bottle of Orangina shouldn't cost much more than 5 euro, if even that much.

Posted by
711 posts

Hi Bart.. We always stay in the Rue Cler area and you can get some good deals there.There is a great, and I mean great bakery, pattissiere, on Rue Cler and the intersection of Rue de Champ du Mars.It not only has the best tortes, tarts, bagettes , etc, but it has a great selection of sandwiches, quiches, drinks. We are photographers and in the morning we load up my backpack with goodies from there so we can photograph the whole day. Another good place is to pick up food items from the places on Rue Cler... fruit, chicken, spring rolls. There is anything you might want---trust me. We like to photograph the out door markets in Paris. When we do.. almost 1 or 2 a day, we pick up a bagette, olives, cheese, wine ,water, and a sweet, and we are on our way. High quality and fairly cheap. There are quite a few good books that list the markets of Paris. They are facinating.

Posted by
8 posts

There is a delicious crepe stand mid way down the Rue Cler. Try the savory crepe and buy some cheap drinks at the local marche near the Ecole militaire. Voila, you have a beautiful picnic on the Champs d. Mars.