Please sign in to post.

Carry on

We're traveling to Italy next week on Lufthansa, we want to go with carry on and they have a very stringent weight allowance,

we have our Rick Steves' 21" rollaboards but need some extra capacity. Will the Rick Steves' Civita shoulder bags qualify as a personal item? we need to know ASAP...!!

thanks

Posted by
57 posts

Not on the airline you're talking about but on American or Delta (can't remember), I've been able to get away with a wheeled suitcase that fit in the overhead, a heavy jacket (overhead), purse and a back pack. Once I take out the pillow, puzzle book, and my crochet stuff, the backpack and the purse fits under the seat.

I usually don't push it like that but I guess I didn't get to the gate early enough and they wouldn't let me check my suitcase. I had to take my jacket out of it to unexpand it on the plane. That was quite a bit nerve racking!

I bet in general, the less packed the flight is, the more you can get away with in the overhead.

Posted by
1717 posts

I saw people carry a larger volume of baggage than that, in airplanes flying to and from Europe. (DELTA airlines). I think the Civita bag is the same size as some Laptop computer bags. A Laptop computer bag qualifies as a "personal item". I suggest : do not totally fill the Civita bag. If your Civita bag is 5 inches thick, that should qualify. The airlines wish for each passenger to put only one bag in the overhead bin. If you put the 21 inch rollaboard bag in the overhead bin, and put the Civita bag on the floor by your feet, I guess that will be tolerated by the airline employees. (If a 21 inch rollaboard bag qualifies for carry on).

Posted by
23268 posts

With Lufthansa the 21" could be the problem since it doesn't meet the size requirement. I have stood in several Lufthansa checkin lines and have watch them forced the rolling bags to be checked because the handle and wheels prevented the bag from fitting inside the sizing box they used. I have never seen bags weighed but they almost always use the sizing box.

Posted by
19092 posts

I think that, because it doesn't have an internal frame, a 21" convertible bag can actually hold more. Being soft, it can certainly conform to size more easily, and it is easier to fit into the overhead compartment. Finally, being almost 5# lighter, when there is a carryon weight limit, it can hold more weight in clothing.

Posted by
769 posts

should be ok - I have taken my RS_convertable (non roller) and a daypack for all the electronics. As logn as the bigger item is in spec and under 17-lbs you should be ok. put all the heavy stuff in the personal items!

Posted by
808 posts

If you make it past the counters...you're home free!!

Most F/A's are far too busy during the boarding process to show any concern over the size and dimensions of your bag.

Just make sure that if your bag is overweight...lift it yourself. If we lift it and find it to be grossly overweight...then we will require you to check it.

Posted by
23268 posts

Elli, I think that it is a good possibility. We have stood in a number of check in lines and watch Lufthansa checked the wheeled luggage because it will not fit in the size box.