Please sign in to post.

Duvet covers

Do European hotels generally change duvet covers between guests? ( I posted this in France forum by mistake. Question meant to be more general. )

Thanks,

Posted by
9145 posts

Yes, they change them. Why would you think they wouldn't? They are changed the same way as the sheets on the bed and the towels. Certainly cleaner than those icky bedspreads and fuzzy blankets one get in the US, that probably never get washed. Those creep me out.

Posted by
7119 posts

Not only between guests, but when they change the sheets during your stay.

Posted by
1026 posts

Absolutely!

What happens during your stay depends on how 'green' the hotel is. Most European guests frown on daily changes for environmental reasons, so hotels often only change once or twice during your stay unless you request it. You'll find full details in the hotel information if that is the case.

Posted by
8293 posts

The mattress on my bed is "years old".

Posted by
7119 posts

@Norma - I agree, mine is too. I'm sure most hotels have 'old' mattresses but I'm more concerned as to whether there is something clean between me and it.

@Ms Jo - Totally agree with you. When I sleep in motels I usually strip both the bedspread and blanket off and just use the sheets - after checking them for cleanliness.

Posted by
16895 posts

I've never had an issue of feeling that my hotel sheets had not been washed (except once on the roll-away bed in an American motel). Some European hotels will use regular blankets, but as a broad generalization, I believe the places that use duvet covers instead of a top sheet will be among the most efficient and clean.

Posted by
11507 posts

Many hotels I have stayed in while in Paris and the rest of Europe do not change sheets daily but often only every few days. I am not a filthy person and I do not change my sheets daily at home so don't need that rather frivolous indulgence daily whole at a hotel, and many hotels want to save water and energy so will even have those cards in the bathroom that suggest you reuse a towel if you wish to help the environment out.

I would not expect a clean duvet cover everyday myself, just clean between guests and once a week for longer stays.

Of course I usually only stay in 2 star hotels, ( usually 90-150 euros) but have stayed in a few 3 star ones .Likely it is different in 4 star places,, and why not if you are paying 400+ euros a night! Lol