Please sign in to post.

carrying passport

A very general question from a traveling newbie; Is it necessary (or recommended) to always carry your passport on your person when in a foreign country? Or can you leave it in your hotel while you are out exploring a city?

Posted by
16895 posts

Unlike the USA, police in Europe can ask to see your ID just as you are walking down the street, although that has never happened to me. That's one reason to carry it. There are other places that will also ask for your passport as ID, including sometimes to rent an audio guide in a museum, or if you are trying for any age-based discounts (under 18, over 60). If my passport is in my money belt under my clothes, then it's always with me and there is zero chance of me forgetting it in a hotel safe. The only time I leave my valuables in the hotel is when I'm going swimming.

Posted by
12313 posts

I carry mine. I think the correct answer is to carry your passport. It's your only valid identification when you are overseas and your immigration stamp is also proof that you are in the country legally (Europe has immigration issues too). Without your passport, you can't prove who you are or that you are there legally.

Now the practical answer, it probably doesn't matter. Virtually everyone on this site looks like some type of average tourist and not likely to be considered a problem for the local authorities - so not likely to be asked for their identification. If you are asked, most police will understand leaving it in your hotel room and, at worst, will accompany you to get it (if not simply take your word about who you are, where you are staying, and how long you are in the country).

The bigger issue is to keep your passport safe. Not so much that it can't be replaced as that losing it creates an unnecessary hassle that is much better avoided mid-vacation. If you carry it, keep it in a moneybelt or other safe place.

Posted by
19233 posts

I always carry my passport with me, in my neck pouch. I feel that is the safest place. I know hotel staff have access codes for the in-room safes, and who knows who has access to the hotel's desk safe.

In 15 years, over 40 places, I have never been asked by them to even see my passport, let alone hold it.

Posted by
9145 posts

I never carry mine unless it is a travel day. Otherwise, it stays in my hotel room, in the safe along with a few other items like my tickets, extra cash, or in my suitcase.

Since I do live overseas I can report that in 27 years, I have never been asked to show my passport in any country I have visited, nor in Germany where I live.

This subject comes up every month or so, and the final result is that some people like to carry it and others like to keep it in their room and you will never convince either group to change their mind about it. Best is to do what you feel the most comfortable with. There is no wrong or right way.

Posted by
1026 posts

I agree with you Lee, I think it is probably a lot safer with you than left in a hotel or apartment room.

As for being controlled, I've been checked on three occasions - all within Switzerland! They are particularly careful when it comes to children: if you are travelling with children and there is an amber alert you can expect that they may pay some attention to you, you are an adult male traveling alone with children or you are travelling with children of a different ethnic background and so on.

Posted by
1026 posts

Here is a useful like which shows the list of documents that are acceptable in each country is you are asked to identify yourself you the authorities. Not that as an non EU/EEA tourist, an American could well be asked to show that they are in the country legally, so things like expired flight tickets, reservations, itineraries etc... are worth holding on to.

I strongly recommend carrying your passport, because it only takes one official that goes strictly by the book to mess up a holiday trip.

Posted by
2262 posts

I have never understood why one would travel to a foreign country and not be able to produce ironclad identification when demanded by authorities. If something happens and you can ID yourself to their satisfaction, it will go better for you than if you you cannot.

Posted by
1976 posts

I always carry mine for the reasons listed above, and so that all my valuables are in one place: cash, credit cards, tickets, passport, etc.

Posted by
4180 posts

Another potential reason for carrying it, along with some indication of where you are staying, is so that you can be quickly identified in case something happens to you, especially if you are alone when it happens. Yes, my parents did make me memorize my name, their names, our address and phone number as soon as I could talk and walk...

Posted by
11294 posts

If you are buying a SIM card, some countries require that you show a passport, while others don't. I was caught by surprise at T-Mobile in Germany, but since I carry my passport with me, I saved a trip back to the hotel.

Italy not only requires a passport to buy a SIM card, they also require one at Internet points (to deter Internet predators and the like).

These situations aside, do what makes you feel the most comfortable, as long as you know your passport's whereabouts at all times.

Posted by
4535 posts

There was just recently a thread from someone reporting that their passports were randomly checked while in Austria (at least they think so, they had wondered if it was a scam). When they asked police about it, the police did confirm that they've been doing more random passport checks as part of their fight against illegal immigration. So the answer is, you CAN be asked for your passport at anytime, though it is rare when not crossing borders.

However, carrying a passport is NOT required in every country and the US State Department warns not to carry it in certain countries where pickpocketing and theft is common (like Spain). Someone here once posted a DOS link that showed for each country whether it was required or recommended not to. A search on their website should find it.

ALWAYS have some sort of legal ID on you. For most of us that is a drivers license. Even if not driving, one might seriously consider having an International Drivers Permit too, since it provides translations and validates the legality of your license. A copy of your passport might help too if asked, but certainly isn't a legal form of ID.

I personally always carry it. But I have a secure wallet system and don't have to worry about losing it or having it stolen. I highly recommend you invest in one yourself.

Posted by
2788 posts

This question gets asked at least weekly on this web site. You will find that many folks carry them all the time - like me for 12 of the last 13 years - and then there are others who do not carry them ever. If you really want to see lots of replies - enter "carrying passports" into the SEARCH box in the top of the page and you should be able to click thru to existing posts in these forums.

Posted by
4 posts

So Sorry,
I did use the search function initially, but typed in "passport"; missed all the past activity on this topic of carrying your passport.
Thanks for all the replies, it's nice to hear all the pros and cons.

Posted by
2393 posts

I always carry ours - we have been stopped a few times and were asked to show them - glad we had them.

Posted by
998 posts

I always carry mine with me in my money belt. I have never been asked for it, but I would rather have it and not need it. Plus, I just feel better knowing it is with me.

Posted by
9369 posts

I always carry mine. On one rare occasion, I left it in the hotel room, went out to buy a SIM card for my phone, and had to immediately return to the room to get it. In Spain they require it to purchase a phone or SIM.

Posted by
19526 posts

It isn't asked weekly. Maybe twice a year, but not weekly.

Some time back I did a little research and what I came up with using the US State Department site was that other than Belgium no other "WESTERN" European required you carry your passport at all times when visiting their country. I also discovered that many "CENTRAL and EASTERN" European countries DID REQUIRE that you have your passport on you while visiting their countries. Among those countries were Hungary, Slovakia, Romania. BUT!!!!!! Don't trust me, do your own research, then do what ever your sensibilities require that you do.

Posted by
4535 posts

^^ James - you were probably the one that posted the State Department link I referred to. It really put to bed the myth that carrying a passport is always required in all foreign countries. It isn't but most people, even long-timers here, don't know that. However, I personally think it is a good idea as long as you have a secure way of keeping it.

Posted by
8830 posts

So. . . I see "passport" and "ID" used interchangeably often in these discussions. Is it really ID that police would want to see? Maybe an IDP would suffice, where a US state driver's license would not?

Posted by
1480 posts

i''m in the "I like to carry it with me always in a secure fashion" camp. I liked the tip from someone else that an expired drivers license is a great thing to (for example) leave at the museum desk as security for the headset. the above poster (ms jo)saying no matter what the argument, the other side cant be persuaded to change reminds me of another chat board I used to participate in regarding house cats.....the pro declawers and the anti declawers had to agree to live and let live.

Posted by
11507 posts

I never carry it unless in transit.
I don't shop so no VAT to worry about.
I don't carry a phone so no Sim card to purchase.
I give my drivers license for collateral at museums for audio guides( no way would I give passport !!)

I can't believe someone would be dumb enough not to check safety deposit vox before checking out.

Posted by
23548 posts

It is constantly debated and it is much more than twice a year. My attitude is do what you want. It is not my job to convince you to behave in a certain way. For me it is the question that I use for a number of situations - Is it better to have it (whatever it is) and not need it or need it and not have it. It is not like you are carrying a 10 lb brick in your back pack. If it is with me, then I always know where it is.

And yes, Pat, there people who forget to check the safe in the rush to leave. That has been posted here several times. And then there are people who forget to lock the safe when leaving the room. Don't know if that qualifies as dumb but more likely just average.

Posted by
19526 posts

Okay Frank, three times a year. I don't want to get involved in "should you" or "should you not", no one will change their minds. I just posted what legal facts I could find regarding the requirement to carry a PASSPORT ---- AND ADVISE YOU TO CHECK for yourselves so I am not liable if I am wrong. Go do what feels good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I own 3 of those hotel room safes. Two different sizes too. Same overide key fits all three. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Posted by
3941 posts

I know in a rush you can overlook things - we almost left our computer bag on a bench at Termini in Rome as we heard an announcement about the train coming in at a diff track...off we went, about 45 sec later realizing our bag was still on the bench...whew! I can never understand how people can leave phones and ipads and eyeglasses and all manner of things on a plane, but it happens! I obsessively check everything when leaving accoms...drawers...even under the bed! lol

For the record, our passport comes with us and stays in our pacsafe bag down in the depths. The only time we ever needed it (that I recall) was somewhere in Italy when we went to use an internet café (this was 08, before igadgets and free wifi were widespread) and needed it for ID to access the computer.

As an addon - anyone remember the story a few months back where Alec Baldwin was driving his bike the wrong way and the police in NYC asked him for ID and he didn't have it and there was a big to do about him not having ID? I think that's extreme, and he is very antagonistic, but it can happen in the US of A as well!

"The volatile actor was handcuffed by police officers and taken away in a squad car, with one witness telling In Touch he 'went ballistic on the cops, screaming at them' during the incident which led to his arrest.
He was asked to provide ID which he didn't have on him. Officers said that he then started to argue with them and was taken into custody"

I know not having ID wasn't the only issue, but who carries ID when going out for a bike ride?!

Posted by
1068 posts

I prefer to know where my passport is. There are several steps I take to make sure it is safe.....however, anything can be stolen (if they can get the Mona Lisa, they can get your passport.) So I also have an electronic copy (just to make things easier at the embassy) in case it is stolen or lost.

Posted by
4535 posts

So. . . I see "passport" and "ID" used interchangeably often in these discussions. Is it really ID that police would want to see? Maybe an IDP would suffice, where a US state driver's license would not?

Just an FYI - an International Drivers Permit is not a valid ID on its own. It must be used in conjunction with a valid drivers license. But it can be very helpful to authorities, not all of whom speak English, to have the IDP so they can interpret and validate the DL.

Passport and ID are used interchangeably because a passport is a legal ID. It also is a step higher in that it validates whether you are in a country legally or not.

I would think that if an American or Canadian were randomly stopped for a passport check and could only show a DL, they would be fine. It would show you are US or Canadian and that's not the nationality they are worried about. And the passport isn't even required for ID in most of Western Europe.

Posted by
2081 posts

jones.suzjones,

this is the way my brain is wired.

Id rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If my passport was the size/shape/weight of a kitchen sink, then i would leave it in the room. Since its not that big and bulky, i can live having it with me.

happy trails

Posted by
14549 posts

@Nicole, everyone should carry ID when out for a bike ride/hike/walk/etc. It's pretty awful when someone winds up in an ER unconscious with no clue as to who they are, where they live and who should be contacted in an emergency. There are small wallets you can lace onto your shoe or wear on your wrist.

And apparently Doomsday Preppers has been on one time too many, so I always wonder...what would I do if I were away from home and could not return to my hotel for some reason? Oh, yes, the ultimate pessimistic view, but somehow that has to be managed.

Posted by
16369 posts

We never carry ours unless in transit; we do have copies in our Pacsafe day bag, and we carry our driver's licenses for ID. Unless we're en route to the next location, we feel a lot more secure without all of our valuables in one place but I understand that it's a personal preference.

If asked for our original passports, I'd request that the authority accompany us to our hotel to get them. In some ways, this could be considered a safety precaution as, while very rare, travelers have been known to have been accosted by "authorities" who were not legitimate. My passport is not something I'd like to fall into the hands of just anyone.

However, it's a great idea to have some sort of document on you which identifies your hotel/apartment, and next of kin contacts should you become badly injured or suddenly ill and unable to provide that information.