Please sign in to post.

GPS

I am taking my iphone to Europe later this month and would like to use it as my GPS without using data.
I will be using this when walking around the city.
Does anyone have any recommendation for apps or how to go about doing this?

Posted by
3398 posts

When we were in Switzerland, northern Italy, and England last summer I used the "Maps" icon that came with my iPhone to navigate everywhere we went. I would connect to a wi-fi spot, enter the destination/route information, let the map load, disconnect from wi-fi, and then navigate using the map. I was able to zoom-in and navigate just fine this way. The only thing that I don't think I had, that I would have had at home, was the little blue dot telling me exactly where I was on the map since I turned off data. If you must have GPS I don't know how you would do it without using data since GPS requires connecting to the local networks to pinpoint your location. Maybe someone out there has a trick for doing this but I haven't found it!

Posted by
2081 posts

hlindsey6,

The GPS is not linked to your data plan. Its a separate system.

If you mean you want a "map" to use with "GPS" then i can only speak for the android OS since its what i have and use.

you can try using "google maps". with the latest (android) update you can save and name multiple maps to use offline. There is a size restriction, but its a dynamic notation so once you get the map small enough, it will let you know and you can save it.

there are other "offline" map apps. you can try "mapswithme". there is a "free" version and a "paid" version. There are differences and you can readup yourself on what they are. You download the countries/cities you want and go from there.

I would download what you can for free and try them at home first and see how you like them. I bought the Mapswithme app since it wasnt expensive and i liked how it worked. YOu an also upload map files from your google "my places" but there are limitations.

happy trails.

Posted by
10344 posts

In prior years some people have reported that their GPS doesn't work well for walking in large cities with tall buildings, apparently because the GPS can't see the satellites through the buildings. Maybe they've corrected this by now.

Posted by
388 posts

There isn't really a fail proof free GPS to use on your Iphone without a wifi connection. However, there are a couple apps that you could try in the meantime: Citymaps2go (Ulmon Pro) or NavFree. I hope this helps some.

Posted by
33457 posts

Be careful if walking around following a route on a tablet of smartphone. If your head is down you may not see the opportunist thief coming up behind you or towards you. In London phone and tablet theft is on a sharp rise and | am sure it is elsewhere.

Funny, the thieves don't seem to take the paper maps....