Please sign in to post.

Eastern Europe Trip

I swear I have the travel bug! Must be my OCD!! Lol!! My parents are were considering several trips and are considering Eastern Europe somday. We like the idea of hitting: Vienna, Brastilava and the surrounding castles, Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Budapest or Pecs and Eger (which would you chooe?) and perhaps Krakow. I know this is a lot of ground to cover, but perhaps buying a eurail pass this might be doable. We are hard travelers, we can do a lot in one day. We have been to Europe twice and have seen 7 countries each time in 2 weeks, so you get my drift. With these places in mind, how long would you consider we go for and how long should we stay in each city? I want your opinion. Is Romania out of the question? I would love to see Bran, Peles and Corvin castles, and perhaps a day in Sighisoara. Thanks!!

Posted by
1068 posts

First, most people in Europe view those countries as Central Europe (including the people in most of those countries--not Romania.) I have not been everyplace you have mentioned but I have been to Vienna, Prague, Budapest, Eger and Krakow (plus a few you have not mentioned.) I think it really depends on what you want to see and how long you want to spend seeing it. And of course there is travel time. For example, I lost the better part of a day traveling from Bled, Slovenia to Vienna via train. Again, depends on what you like to see/do and how long...for example in Krakow..... Auschwitz? Schindler's Factory? Wawel Hill? Wieliczka Salt Mine? Market Square in Old Town? Tour of the Town? We didn't get to the museum because the DaVinci was on traveling exhibit elsewhere. So, this may not help much as we likely have different goals but, I spent: 5 nights in Prague (I don't deplane and just instantly get over jet lag), 4 nights in Vienna, 3 nights in Budapest, 3 nights in Krakow and 1 night in Eger. My trip was just shy of a month but included other places you didn't mention.

Posted by
17895 posts

Well you didn’t say how much time you had and you didn’t say what time of year; so very generically a good introduction to Central / Eastern Europe is
1. Depart US on a Saturday
2. Arrive Prage
3. Prague
4. Prague
5. Prague to Cesky Krumlov
6. Cesky Krumlov to Vienna
7. Vienna
8. Vienna
9. Vienna to Gyor / Pannanhalma
10. Gyor / Pannanhalma to Budapest
11. Budapest
12. Budapest
13. Budapest to Pecs or Eger (both excellent, I tend to prefer Pecs a little more)
14. Pecs back to Budapest (as all Hungarian train lines go through Budapest)
15. Budapest
16. Fly home on a Sunday

If you like the region you can always come back, but to really get a feel of things my opinion is that there are pretty much minimum days. Krakow is tough to get to unless you want to spend the time. I haven’t been to Bratislava because I get so many mixed reviews. I am not a huge fan of Vienna but you would be nuts to be in the area and not spend a few days. If you want to see more castles in the Czech Republic then hire a car to Cesky Krumlov as there are a couple of beauties you can visit on the way. Otherwise take a shuttle service to CK and on to Vienna. The rest of the trip is train with the legs all being something less than 4 hours so you don’t waste your vacation sitting in a seat.

Most Romanians also like to call themselves central Europeans so I do also. Romania is a great trip and an awesome experience; so is Bulgaria for that matter. You could conceivably do Hungary and Romania in two weeks; but you would have to give up Prague and Vienna.

Got another day? Add a day in Austria to see Melk as a day trip. Still got time (and a little money?) hop a direct flight to Moscow out of Budapest (about $350 Round trip) or drive up into the High Tatras of Slovakia.

With a time of year, number of days and basic interests I am certain you can get more refined recommendations.

Posted by
17895 posts

Oh, and while RS denies the existence of Romania and Bulgaria, you can get help in the Czech, Austrian, Hungarian and Slovakian forums.

If either Bulgaria or Romania become serious let me know. I know a really excellent guide in each.

And finally, and check me on this, but I don't think you would get much if any value out of a rail pass for this trip.

Posted by
2788 posts

Do you (they) have a copy of RS's Eastern Europe Guide Book yet? If so, great. If not, I would recommend you (they) get one as soon as possible to help in the planning process. We found it very helpful in planning prior to taking RS Eastern Europe Tour. That book, as well as several country specific books, can be purchased elsewhere on this web site.

Posted by
29 posts

I went on the RS Eastern Europe tour in June and I absolutely loved Krakow. I would highly recommend that you visit. There is a lot to see there, the prices are low, the people are friendly and I enjoyed the food. I would spend at least 3 days, perhaps 4 if you were to visit Auschwitz or the salt mine. I was especially impressed with Schindler's museum. We also visited Budapest on the trip and there was a lot to do there as well (3-4 days). Don't miss the Szechenyi Baths!