Please sign in to post.

Croatia/Slovenia

I am thinking of going to Slovenia and Croatia next year in either May or September. I have a few questions I am hoping people could answer:

First, is it better to go in May or September. I am really trying to avoid the crazy summer crowds, but I would like most places to still be open. I know these months are the bridge months before and after the more crowded summer time, but I was wondering if one would be considered better than the other?

I am going to try and go for 14 days. My plan is to fly into Slovenia and stay for about 3 days. I would like to stay in Ljubljana but my main goal is the Predjama Castle and Postojna caves. Are these sites worth a visit or are they extremely touristy? I don't mind touristy as long as it is not like going to Disneyland.

After a few days in Slovenia, I would like to travel down to Pula and stay there for 4 days or so and visit Istria. I wanted to see all the Roman Ruins in Pula, visit the Basilica in Porec etc... Then I would like to go to Split for about 3 days and then down to Dubrovnik for 3/4 days.

Is this biting off more than I can chew? What is the best way to travel to all of these areas? I was thinking of taking buses and taxi cabs while in Slovenia and then once I reach Pula renting a car to travel throughout Croatia. Is this a good idea? I figured if I rented a car I could get to places much more quickly than buses and trains. But, I have never driven/rented a car in Europe so I don't know if this is a good idea? Is it easy to get from Pula-Split-Dubrovnik without a car?
Thanks for any help you can offer!

Posted by
7779 posts

We visited some of Slovenia & Croatia by rental car (picked up the car in Venice, actually) back in June 2004, so I can't directly address the May/September question and perhaps things have changed in the last decade, but . . . things weren't packed. There were other people at sights, but we didn't wait in long lines, we weren't elbowed out of the way by mobs, and there was no abundance of souvenir stands hawking postcards or mouse-ear caps. Super highways in Croatia had just been built, or were being finished (we had a couple of construction zones with minimal delays) and the drivers were courteous and vehicles moved smoothly. Split (and nearby Solin) was really enjoyable. The fresh seafood was outstanding. We didn't have time to make it south to Dubrovnik, and we had to skirt Istria and save Pula for another time.

If you wind up renting a car, you may observe our experience in Continental Europe that rather than navigating by road numbers (staying on the N386, for example), signs generally direct you towards cities & towns, so you'll want to know what towns lie ahead in the direction you're heading. If your destination is beyond that town, after you get thru that first town, signs will direct your towards one of the next towns in the direction you want to be heading. Signs are generally very good pointing you in the right direction, as long as you don't miss the sign, and we've relied on road atlases and having a second person in the car as a navigator. We don't rely on seeing a sign telling us that we're on (or turning onto) a certain-numbered road, however. GPS units are often available and many folks are using them to get around. We used Hertz once in Portugal & Spain, but have usually found better rates with European companies (Europcar, Sixt, etc.). Cars with automatic transmissions can be less plentiful and more expensive than manual-transmission cars, so determine what equipment you need and what it will cost.

We visited Skocjan cave but not Postonja, and it was wonderous and worthwhile. I hope your trip is good, whether you drive yourself or have someone else do the driving.

Posted by
16895 posts

Nothing in Slovenia will remind you of Disneyland, or even of more-touristed cities like Prague. If you rent a car for Slovenia, you might be tempted to spend more time there (but picking up a car in one country and dropping it in the other is expensive). Driving the main roads is easy in both countries. See also Rick's driving tips. Without a car, bus and ferry are the main ways to travel along the Croatian coast. Trains from Pula to Split are not direct and Dubrovnik is not served by train. I'm sure either month will be enjoyable, but you might have warmer water for coastal swimming in September. Also, Rick's Croatia/Slovenia book is available in a new edition (May, 2014).

Posted by
3635 posts

We were in Croatia last year, in late September; and that was a great time to visit. We stayed two nights in Split*, and that was plenty. We moved up to Trogir after that. It's only about an hour away; but we did so to avoid backtracking and to spend less on lodgings. We liked Trogir a lot, actually more than Split. We had a car, and driving was a snap. Good roads and not too many other cars. A gps would be a good idea. Do try to include Plitvice Lakes Nat'l Park. It's one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
*We had an excellent, not too expensive guide in Split. She really helped us to make sense of Diocletian's Palace. Pm me if you want her name, and I'll try to find it.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you all so much, these suggestions have been very helpful. It is great to have people who have been give advice. It sounds like renting a car is not a bad idea once I reach Croatia.

Posted by
7779 posts

Hi T. Ann-Even in Slovenia, you'd find driving no problem. As Laura mentioned above, it can sometimes be costly to pick up a rental car in one country and drop it off in another, but charges might vary depending on the countries and rental companies involved. You might want to see what your options are and what the costs would be. Even a short-term rental in Slovenia, turning the car in before you continue to Croatia, might give you more flexibility than using buses or taxis.

I just thought of one other thing, which may be less of an issue now, but 10 years ago we were cautioned to not wander off the roadways in Croatia, as there were still mines in the ground left from the war. We weren't tempted to get out of the car and stroll in the grass off to the side of the road anyway, but we kept that advice in mind. Had a great time and Plitvice Lakes is truly a wonderful place, too.