Please sign in to post.

How Many Share?

I thought I was playing by the rules in booking reservations for Night Trains for two different trips for a so-called "deluxe double" (two person compartment with wash basin, toilet and shower--albeit small ones--in the compartment). In the First case I was surprised to learn the Bergen to Oslo Night Train doesn't offer this type accommodation (even though someone at Rail Europe told me it did). In the Second case I was told Night Train reservations cannot be made more than 3 months in advance, but I just learned (3 months before the date of the trip) the Basel to Hannover train accepts reservations for the deluxe double 6 months in advance. . . guess what: I wait until 3 months to book/reserve same and all are booked. Soooo, my wife asks me: "How many people are we sharing a toilet with and is there a shared shower on the train, and how many share it/them"? I have no idea what the answer is to the question of sharing. I would be grateful for any information on an internet site(s) that show the layout of the toilet/shower arrangement on a Norwegian and a Swiss/German Night Train car with private compartments? Thanks for any help.

Posted by
5678 posts

Have you explored the website, The Man in Seat 61? I don't know if it will answer all your questions, but it may be a start. Also, you might get more answers by posting this question in the transportation forum for the Helpline.

Good luck!

PAm

Posted by
10344 posts

I'm just curious: in the train compartment layouts, where is the toilet? and the shower?

Posted by
14768 posts

On the CNL regarding " the compartment layouts, " the toilet is at the end of the coach. I don't know anything about a shower. I sat twice in a compartment layout on the CNL from Paris Est to Munich Hbf., 2nd time: Hannover Hbf to Paris Est. It is a six seat compartment, 2nd class, three seats across facing each other. It was ok, since I'm used to it. Comfort depends whether the compartment ends up with 3 persons or five, including yourself.

Posted by
873 posts

I'll admit I haven't traveled in a private compartment on a night train - only 4-berth couchettes with all shared facilities - but even if I had a private shower, I don't know that I would use one on the train. With the shaking and limited water supply, brushing my teeth in one of the washrooms was something of an experience....

Posted by
5678 posts

So, I found the specific page on the Man in Seat 61 site on sleepers or night trains. It lays out pretty well what to expect. Of course, if you want the ultimate in luxury, you need the Orient Express or make it your whole vacation on The Royal Scotsman.

Posted by
10515 posts

I used to travel Paris-Vienna in the first class sleeper. The toilet was at the end of the car, as in any other class. I never saw a shower. What the sleeper car had as opposed to a second class couchette was a real bed with sheets, blanket, pillow, and a sink under a lift-up counter where you could wash or brush your teeth. The two compartments at the end of the car over the wheels were in fact second class tickets and had three beds. The others were one or two beds.