Please sign in to post.

exchanging money

i'll be in europe for a month,where should i exchange USD before or after i arrive in europe?, how much money should i carry at a time?

Posted by
65 posts

Hi,

There are several posts on this already, just use the search bar in the upper right hand corner.

Most say, and I agree, just use the ATM at the airport when you land. You get the actual exchange rate and the fee is cheaper than going to a currency exchange. The other option for minimal fees is to find a bank, but that's not soon enough if you need to pay for a cab.

Rick says in his book to use a money belt and take out a weeks worth at a time to minimize ATM fees.

Posted by
2788 posts

There are as many opinions on this subject as there are stars in the sky. I go to Europe every summer for a month and have always purchased my local currency upon arrival in Europe at an ATM machine in the airport. I have never had a problem with this method. I use a DEBIT CARD from one of two sources that do not mark up the ATM fees.I always notify my different card issuers (3 different financial institutions for back up) what countries I will be in and when. HOWEVER, I just came back from my bank here in Hawaii after purchasing $1,000 US in Euros as a hedge against the continued decline of the dollar. A gamble, sure. Hope I loose that bet but, just in case.... I only take (up to this year) enough $ from the ATM that I will need for several days. Some folks say make big withdrawals so as not to have to pay additional money for each ATM use. I prefer to be holding less money just in case.
I am sure you can find other advice in this site. Happy travels.