Please sign in to post.

Please help with my itinerary

Anyone can help me and give me feedback on this itinerary?
I have 34 days to travel (without counting the days where I'm flying in and out).

Fly in London

5 days in London + 1 day trip

Fly to Split, Croatia

3 days in Split

3 days in Hvar

Ferry to Dubrovnik

3 days in Dubrovnik

Fly to Zagreb

3 days in Zagreb

Train to Ljubljana

4 days in Ljubljana; overnight train to Munich

3 days in Munich

Fly to London

4 days in London

Fly home

I know a lot of you suggest flying open-jaw but I found that it turned out to be about 250$ more expensive while the flight back to London is 50$.

I'll be traveling alone for the first time (not first time in Europe though). Am I making a big mistake or planning too much? Any comments would be appreciated! I should probably add that my budget is of about 5000$, and that my airfare from home to London is 700$. I really want to see most of the big museums in London and then relax more in Croatia/Slovenia.

Posted by
1358 posts

Take a sheet of paper and list your days down the left side and then list the towns you will be in for each day.

Then list the places you want to see for each day. Also estimate time for travel each day. That is
the only way I can ever plan a trip.

Do research on the web for places which interest you in each town. Do a google search for “Amsterdam sights” and look at the pictures for each sight.

Then decide which ones you want to plan time to see. When you do that for every day you will learn how to budget your time.

With some experience in travel you will learn how to choose the most important sights and allow enough
time for them all.

Posted by
12 posts

thanks Carl! I've already done something like that. I think what I'm planning is doable but I want to get feedback from other travelers.

Posted by
12172 posts

I think your itenerary is doable. Unless you have friends/family in London I would plan a Western swing to Bath, Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral and a Northern swing to Oxford and perhaps York. You have enough time in England to do a little more exploring while still seeing a lot of London.

Posted by
258 posts

Hello - Just wanted to give a suggestion on the open-jaw flying. Perhaps try other cities to see if you can get a cheaper flight. I'm saving about $100 by flying into Brussels instead of Paris & I get to see another city.

Berlin popped up on my radar too because of the cheaper flights. Prague was also a good place to fly out of.

Posted by
334 posts

I think that your multi-days in one location is great. Be sure to visit Trogir from Split (1/2 hour bus trip). One stop that you may want to change a little is Zagreb. I don't think it really rates 3 days - 1 day is fine, with extra in Slovenia (take the bus from Ljubljana to Lake Bled - where you can really just enjoy the area (biking/walking is good) and some B&Bs loan bikes.
I would agree with other posts to get out of London during one of those "chunks" of time - Bath, Cotswolds - even Edinburgh - all are easy connections.

Posted by
1556 posts

I agree with the previous poster. Don't think you need 3 days in Zagreb. I would add the same for Ljubljana and Dubrovnik unless you are taking side trips from these places or are just planning on taking it easy. Also, you have a lot of time in London (10 days) - while I love London, you have enough time to spend 2-3 days elsewhere.

Come to think of it not even sure I would do Zagreb since it is out of the way unless you are set on it. You could also try flying directly to Ljubljana and from there take the train to MUC stopping in Salzburg or Bled. There are lots of other options depending on what you want to see and how much you want to move between places.