Please sign in to post.

Favorite Christmas Markets

Hello - my husband and I are thinking about touring Christmas Markets in Europe - probably Austria and Germany. Just wondering if any of you have done this, if it's worth the trip and what your favorites are.

Thanks so much for your input.

Posted by
23548 posts

You come to this site and wonder if any one had been to the Christmas Markets? I bet your question will get at least 50 responses. A popular subject. We spent Christmas in Germany about five years ago. Actually started in Stasbourg, then Rothernburg ob der Tauber, day trip to Nurnberg, Christmas in Munich, and finally on to Prague for New Years.

Stasbough is the oldest Christmas market and in the end was probably our favorite of those that we visited. Nurnberg is often hyped as the best market. It is huge and a great market but it was snowing hard all day so that may have damped our enthusiasm for Nurnberg. Rothernburg was magically because of the setting but a very small market. We actually spent Christmas in Munich and the markets were typical. There were some specialized markets in outlaying areas that were very interesting.
One thing to keep in mind is that all of the Germany Christmas market start closing the day or two before Christmas and absolutely shut down by Christmas eve. We were surprised how quickly the markets disappeared on Christmas day in Munich. But the beer halls were great on Christmas day.

Posted by
548 posts

Well - okay - consider my question a dumb one! So - what are your favorites?