Please sign in to post.

medications

Does it matter what size your medication bottles are as long as they are labeled? Our medications are in 90 days supply bottles so may be larger than 3 ozs. we are worried about our medicatins being confiscated. Deb

Posted by
187 posts

If you trade with a local pharmacy just get them to give you a smaller bottle with the label attached. If using a mailorder pharmacy just call & see if they will do the same.

Posted by
187 posts

I forgot to add I don't think your meds will be confiscated. The 3 oz bottles apply to liquids only.

Posted by
71 posts

I am facing the same situation. I believe the 3 oz. rule does not apply to medications and they should be packaged seperatly from your quart bag with your other liquids. Suggest you check for yourself at www.tsa.gov. There is section on medications, but I don't believe it is one the first screen you see -- so you'll need to look for it under disabilities or special needs, I belive.

Posted by
1167 posts

The restrictions only apply to "liquids, gels and aerosols." If your medications are in this form you can still carry them on in their original containers but you must declare them at the checkpoint.

Posted by
93 posts

You should have no problem leaving the US and entering the foreign countries...your problem will be getting back in to the US with your meds. Go to www.tsa.gov and see the latest travel restrictions and guidelines. It's pretty detailed...if you have a large container of meds don't split them up...as the ones that are in a "little baggie" will be tossed by US Customs, no questions asked.

Posted by
93 posts

Oh yes, Al's right...you'll need a valid Rx from your dr for each med..in the unlikely event your meds are lost or worse,stolen, you'll need a way to replace them...and our insurance typically will not cover you over their...just look for the big green cross above the store front...their the pharmacy.

Posted by
658 posts

Put a small quantity in a small bottle in your carry on baggage. Place the larger quantities in your hold baggage ( there are no restrictions on the size of medication packed inside your checked in baggage ). Get your doctor to write down a list of all prescribed medication so that in the unlikely event of your checked in baggage going astray you can get duplicate medication from a local pharmacy.

Posted by
505 posts

For Europe, it's also a good idea to have the generic name for each medication, because generics are used much more often here and because the particular 'brand' may not be available or be referred to by a different name.

Posted by
10 posts

When we traveled to Mexico, Costa Rica etc I just put my pills in one of those weekly pill holders (a 2-3 week supply) and put it in my carry on bag. I had no problems leaving the US and on coming home, the container was empty anyway. DEB

Posted by
808 posts

As a Medical First Responder I cringe at the thought of anyone removing their medications from their original labelled container! Always keep your medications in their original labeled containers! If your medication is not labeled it is extemely difficult for Paramedics/First Responders to identify what it is you are taking. It could even cost you your life!
If the container is too large, have your Pharamacist label an additional small container. Carry two sets of medications in case you loose one. Also, carry a valid prescription with generic names. Always carry your medications with you on board the aircraft. Add to that a "Medic Alert" necklet or bracelet if you have a known medical condition.

Posted by
40 posts

I had heard, too, to get a prescription from my doctor, HOWEVER, doctors in the U.S. are not authorized to write prescriptions for other countries (unless they practiced there and still have a license). Just ask for the generic names of your prescriptions and a doctor in the other country can write a prescription for you. This is what my doctor told me.

Posted by
204 posts

Of course doctors are not licensed to write prescriptions to be filled in other countries and vice versa. Hardly the point for the suggestion to take a written prescription with the generic name. You doctor is not well informed. If you are in most European countries and you take a prescription to a PHARMACY, they can look it up in their cross reference and determine the correct name for their country. They then can write the name on your prescription and either call a doctor, as I have done hundreds of times for foreign travelers in the US or you can take it to a doctor, emergency room and free clinic.