Please sign in to post.

Paris to Barcelona - First Time - Help...

Hello,
This is my very first trip to Europe. I will be traveling with my wife and two very active boys (11 & 8). We will be arriving in PARIS at the end of May 2014 and leaving from BARCELONA (back to our home in Florida). We have a total of 15 days.
I am looking for any suggestions on an itinerary for these 15 days. We plan to spend 4 days in Paris and start traveling south to Barcelona (car or train?). We really would like to see the rural areas, hike the Pyrenees, I heard of interesting cave (Grotte du Peche Merle ? ), and medieval cities. The truth is ..... we have no clue on where and what to do and time is ticking as this was a last minute decision..... Thank you.

Posted by
1559 posts

Pls examine car rental rates as drop off charges can be high.
Recommend the high speed train w direct service from paris to barcelona. This should be a thrill fir your kids.
No need for a car in barcelona, excellent subway and train system. There is a lot to do in the barcelona area. Examples: swim in the Med and spend a half day at the beach, take day trips (via subway and train) to monserrat (google it) and other nearby cities, great amusement park in barcelona and many other opportunities. I can see spending five days there (including day trips)
So you have extra days to fill you itinerary and i am confident other posters will provide great recommendations on how to use them.
Keep yourselves hydrated. Expect glitches. Strolling through a park can provide as great of memories as any museum. Experiment w food choices.
Strongly recommend you consider renting apts fir they provide: more space to stretch out in, separate bedrooms, a kitchen, better economics, usually the landlord is helpful w local recommendations. Check out Airbnb to gain an understanding of these opportunities. Our first choice for accommodations has become apts.

Posted by
10515 posts

You can pick up a car when leaving Paris and meander via Peche Merle, the Pyrenees and more to a border city such as Narbonne or Perpignan to drop your car. The high-speed train to Barcelona stops at both of these. I know there is a car rental drop off in Narbonne because I'm using it. You could then continue on to Barcelona. I suggest you thumb through some guide books from your library and then order one or two. Others will certainly add specific suggestions on places.

Posted by
2422 posts

Yes drop off fees from one country to another can be way too high. If you have not looked at tour books suggest you at least get RS ETBD for a first trip. We took our kids to Paris for first time when they were a little older so can't help with Paris ideas but for Barcelona they loved of course Las Ramblas, le bourqueria, spelling is awful I know and the Cathredal where we walked up to the top and also seeing the geese inside. It was so funny to see them react to the real life statues on las Ramblas even though were a little bit older. Enjoy.

Posted by
2081 posts

jtglobal,

pick up a copy of Rick Steves, Paris, Spain and Europe through the back door. It will give you alot of insights into what what and answer most of your questions.

since ive only been to Paris not much help, but again, his books covers alot.

I for one prefer trains over cars, however i really dont know where youre going in terms of train availability so i will let others with more experience in those regions/areas give you their experience.

happy trails.

Posted by
6898 posts

I agree that you should drop off the rental car in France to avoid the high drop-off fees. Narbonne or Perpigan are excellent choices. We did the reverse. We were in Barcelona and did not want to rent our car in Spain and then drop it off in France. Thus, we took the train from Barcelona to Nimes and rented it there as our next visits were in Provence.

Posted by
6713 posts

I'd suggest driving for flexibility and variety. Pick up the car at Orly and drop it somewhere in SW France with a good train connection to Barcelona (Toulouse?) to avoid the dropoff charge for taking it to Spain. Of course you may find that the dropoff charge is less than the 4 train fares from wherever you'll be.

You could see some of the Loire chateaux and Dordogne castles and caves, even the walled city of Carcassonne. Thrilling for little boys of all ages. Amboise has a good chateau plus the Clos Luce, where Leonardo da Vinci lived, with big models of his inventions (flying machine etc.) in a park. Near St-Aignan is a zoo that's been called the best in Europe. Castelnaud on the Dordogne has siege machines and other fun exhibits. Lascaux II, though a reproduction, may be the best way to experience cave art, especially for kids. Peche Merle (which I haven't seen) gets raves from many here. Carcassonne is pretty touristy, but that's what we are, right?

Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
10515 posts

Because you have two active boys, I think Dick's itinerary down the west side of France would work well. You should take a look at Chambord chateau with the double staircase designed by Leonardo DeVinci. In addition to Carcassonne, you could add St. Guilhem du Desert and/or Aigues Mortes. I think active boys would love these places. Also, for any of the caves, you'll need to make reservations in advance. Have fun!