Please sign in to post.

Beatles mania

I love the Beatles and am travelling to Europe in August/September 2016. As part of that trip I will be in the UK and Ireland for about 12 days and would love to see some Beatles sights?

Is there any particularly Beatles sights to see in the UK? Or anywhere else in Europe?

Posted by
9369 posts

Well, I would start with Liverpool, where they were from. There are also sites in London and other places. Google "Beatles tours UK" and see what pops up.

Posted by
5678 posts

I would post this question in the England Forum and the Germany forum for Hamburg.

Pam

Posted by
4637 posts

There is a big Beatles Museum in the former Liverpool docks.

Posted by
12040 posts

You can also visit a Beatles museum in Hamburg, and there's a sort of an abstract statue devoted to them on the Reeperbahn.

Posted by
517 posts

Abbey Road Crosswalk near St John's Wood tube station. We have friends who live in the neighborhood and they tell us that Paul has a house in the area.

Posted by
4684 posts

Note that Abbey Road Studio is not anywhere near the London light rail station called Abbey Road. Every so often lost tourists turn up there.

Posted by
51 posts

We took the train from London to Liverpool and spent the day in Liverpool. It was well worth it. We took a tour called "the Magical Mystery Tour" and we got to see everything "Beatles". It left from the Albert Docks. Very cramped and we did it with an 8 month old baby but it was worth it if you are a fan. We had plently of time to check out the Cavern Club as well. Have a great time.

Posted by
388 posts

It looks like your question is well answered. One other suggestions would be to pick up a guidebook specifically on Beatles sites. "The Beatles London" by Piet Schreuders is a good one. Here is an excerpt from Rick's current England guidebook on a couple of tours to consider in Liverpool.

"If you want to see as many Beatles-related sights as possible in a short time, these tours are the way to go. Each drives by the houses where the Fab Four grew up (exteriors only), places they performed, and spots made famous by the lyrics of their hits (“Penny Lane,” “Strawberry Fields,” the Eleanor Rigby graveyard, and so on). Even lukewarm fans will enjoy the commentary and seeing the shelter on the roundabout, the barber who shaves another customer, and the banker who never wears a mack in the pouring rain. (Very strange.)

Magical Mystery Big Bus Tour--Beatles fans enjoy loading onto this old, psychedelically painted bus for a spin past Liverpool’s main Beatles landmarks, with a few photo ops off the bus. With an enthusiastic, live commentary and Beatles tunes cued to famous landmarks, it leaves people happy (£16, daily year-round at 14:00; also at 11:30 daily April-Oct, off-season weekends, and school holidays; often at other times as well--ask TI, call, or check online for schedule; 1.75 hours, buses depart from the Albert Dock near The Beatles Story and TI, tel. 0151/236-9091, www.cavernclub.org). As these tours often fill up, you’d be wise to book at least a day ahead by phone or through the TI (tel. 0151/707-0729).

Phil Hughes Minibus Beatles and Liverpool Tours--For something more extensive, fun, and intimate, consider a four-hour minibus Beatles tour from Phil Hughes. It’s longer because it includes information on historic Liverpool, along with the Beatles stuff and a couple of Titanic and Lusitania sights. Phil organizes his tour to fit your schedule and will do his best to accommodate you (£20/person, private group tour with 5-person minimum, can coordinate tour to include pickup from end of National Trust tour of Lennon and McCartney homes or drop-off for late-day tour starting at Speke Hall, 8-seat minibus, tel. 0151/228-4565, mobile 07961-511-223, www.tourliverpool.co.uk, [email protected])."

Posted by
12040 posts

"The Beatlemania Museum went out of business:"

I've been trying to think of a witty, Beatles-themed reaction to that news, and all I can come up with is "I guess the love they took wasn't equal to the love they made". Yuck, pathetic... can anyone do better?

Posted by
1 posts

I'm also a fan of Beatles & last year I visited London & this tour was awesome. There I have found so many new things about Beatles. So I prefer you to set a tour of London.

Posted by
809 posts

@Tom - all their troubles seemed so far away, but now it looks as if they're here to stay? I'm guessing the museum believes in yesterday.

Posted by
33457 posts

ivan,

I don't understand to whom you were speaking? Who should set a tour? A tour of what?

Posted by
7779 posts

Well, since an almost 3-month old question has been resurrected, and the OP isn't going for 2 years, I'll add that at the British Library, in the Treasures Room, along with a copy of the Magna Carta (really tiny print!) and typewritten pages by James Joyce, is a small Beatles display that includes hand-written lyrics.

@Tom & @Kethleen, if you can think of a museum as female, how about "She's leaving home(burg), bye-bye" ?

Posted by
2262 posts

I've been trying to think of a witty, Beatles-themed reaction to that news
For the benefit of Mr. Tom
Everyone will think here some-starting now

Even if it's an old thread, there's great possibilities here! So put on your thinking Homburg...

Posted by
3838 posts

"The Beatlemania Museum went out of business:"

Maybe not enough people were willing to travel the long and winding road that leads to their door.