Please sign in to post.

ATM fees

I have been told by my bank that they charge $2 per transaction and add a 1% fee to get euros in europe at an ATM. The max per day is $350 so if I add the 1% (3.50 dollars) plus the $2 flat transaction fee, I'm paying $5.50 to get my $350 dollars out in Euros at an ATM. Are there additional fees that the bank running the ATM in Eutope hits me with too? Can you give me an estimate of what it really costs in addition to what my bank charges? Thank you!

Posted by
2779 posts

Bank of America customers can withdraw local currencies in Europe free of any transaction charge. E.g. Parnter bank in France is BNP, in Germany it's Deutsche Bank etc.

Posted by
2774 posts

I have never had any charges from the European banks.

Posted by
23534 posts

In all of my travels we have never been charge an ATM usage fee similar to the usage fee often charged by US banks when you use an ATM not owned by your bank. BUT -- that could change tomorrow. Except, I thought I read once that there were some European bank regulations that prohibited charging for using an ATM. To the best of my experience there are no charges beyond the currency conversion fees imposed by the network and your bank.

Posted by
9369 posts

You might want to consider setting up a travel account at another bank that charges less. I bank at a small local credit union, and they charge no fees at all for international ATM transactions. Every time I travel I check when I get back, and I have only been charged the actual exchange rate for the day I made the transaction. And I've never been charged an ATM fee for the bank in Ireland, or Spain, or China whose ATM I'm using.

Posted by
6 posts

Linda: WaMu only charges 1% to withdraw money with your debit card. The big problem with most banks is cash advances. Those fees can be quit expensive, so the best plan is to have plenty of money in your checking account before you travel and just use your debit card. You can still have a credit card as a back-up in case you can't use your debit card for some reason. Some travelers recommend having at least 3 cards that you can use (both debit and credit) just as a safety factor.