Please sign in to post.

Train Tickets in Europe

Hi All,
I have gotten great advice from Sam on a previous post. I am just looking for additional advice. I am arriving in Paris 2 September 2014. I am checking out the morning of 6 September and planning on taking the train to Luzern. Then leave Luzern on 11 September and take the train back to Paris same day, stay overnight near the airport (CDG) and fly home on 12 September.
I need info on booking train tickets WHILE IN EUROPE.
can I purchase tickets to Luzern and back to Paris when I arrive instead of booking from the US?
A lot depends on this as I am meeting a friend from another country who does not have a credit card.

I even tried booking 2 tickets in both of our names but the sight does not accept his info.

Any help is always appreciated!

Posted by
11613 posts

Yes, you can get tickets when you arrive but you won't get the online discount for purchasing far in advance. I assume you want to pay cash?

Posted by
6898 posts

Yes, you can buy the train tickets at any staffed SNCF train station in Paris. There's at least six of them. I use the term "staffed" as the American magnetic strip credit cards will not work in the SNCF ticket machines. They require chip and pin cards. Just buy what you need from the agent.

Posted by
658 posts

Thanks Zoe and Larry for the advice. Yes I will pay cash and pay normal price if necessary. i just want to make sure that I can buy the tickets a couple of days in advance while in Europe. Thanks again!

E

Posted by
32320 posts

steve,

You can also buy tickets at SNCF Boutique offices, of which there are several scattered around Paris. Whether to buy tickets at the station or at a Boutique will probably depend on which one is closer to your hotel.

Posted by
658 posts

I have booked Hotel Saint-Louis en L'Isle. Any boutiques close by? Their website is not exactly user friendly.

Posted by
4637 posts

Most train tickets in Europe you can buy at the train station just before you go. Usually I prefer to buy it at least a day ahead just in case there is a line when I am in a hurry for train and it's also easier to handle it without luggage.

Posted by
4085 posts

As you wait a half-hour to get to a ticket agent at a busy station, you may have second thoughts about not shopping from home. Then again, maybe you have special arrangements better dealt with by a live helper than a computer alogrhythm. Just so you keep in mind the possibility of lengthy line-ups.

Posted by
10515 posts

The closest and easiest place for you will be the "Boutique SNCF" at 54 boulevard St. Michel. They offer service by appointment too, which you can ask your hotel to set up. That way you won't have to wait long.

Posted by
1266 posts

Steve, If you now your travel dates, you may want to purchase your train tickets ahead of time and save a few Euros.