Please sign in to post.

Condor Airlines?

Anyone experience them or know anything about them? Looking for west coast to Frankfurt.

Posted by
19234 posts

I flew Condor from Denver to Frankfurt in 1988. It was a charter. A lot of things have changed since then, but it was fine then.

Condor is a subsidiary of Lufthansa. Unfortunately, they only leave from a few places in the US. I would need another flight to get to their airport, and I don't think I can book the whole connection (Denver to Frankfurt) as a single tickets. If my flight to the Condor airport was delayed, I could lose the Condor ticket, I think.

I just checked their website, and they will start "flying" from Denver on May 15, but only 2 days a week and through Seattle on Alaska Airlines.

Note: Seat reservations for the condor segments are $40 RT.

Also, although they allow one free checked bag up to 23kg, carryons are limited to 6kg (about 13lb).

Posted by
151 posts

I flew them Seattle to Frankfurt two years ago. They are very low-frills (no entertainment, no food) but everything was on time. The departure gate in Frankfurt had security right at the gate (not unusual at Frankfurt) and the flight attendants doing the screenings were very "handsy" if you get my drift.

Posted by
19234 posts

By "security right at the gate", I assume you mean in addition to the security you had to go through to get to the gate. The security to get to the gate is normal German security. The security at the gate was probably TSA, which often conduct their own security for flights to the U.S.

Posted by
813 posts

We've flown Condor a handful of times in the last few years. Always professional, always on time. We take them as part of package deals to resorts outside of Germany, so no experience to North America with them. They're really nice to the kids too. Highly recommend them.

Posted by
14770 posts

Hi,

In the 1980s I flew with Condor twice from SFO to FRA. That was in '84 and '87. The prices were good then since it was high season each time, ie., in mid-July to start my trip. No problems I can recall, it was satisfactory.

Posted by
2671 posts

I have used them twice for Seattle to Frankfurt and I love them. They usually price out at about $1000 for a nonstop, and my other nonstop options are Paris, London and Amsterdam, all of which usually price out at $1400 since I travel in summer. I use the money saved to upgrade to Premium Economy and I am totally comfortable for my ten hour flight.

I flew them in 2012 and 2013 and there are video monitors, but I think they are the above-head/in-the-aisle configuration. Someone mentioned that Condor is no-food, which is not accurate currently. They offer two meals and a snack on the Seattle route and I found the food to be satisfactory and even somewhat tasty.

Posted by
1923 posts

Thank you so much for your reply. Funny how I'm not getting any emails to notify me about people posting on my question. I really appreciate the feedback! I had not heard of Condor, so it is good to know!

Posted by
2297 posts

I flew Condor from Calgary to Frankfurt in June 2013. It was BY FAR the cheapest air fare around ($500 less than the next "cheapest" option). And next to the friendly people and punctual flights that's pretty much the only but most important plus side. On the minus side:
- the worst airplane food I've ever had (I can live with that)
- only 2 movies shown on a few screens over the 9 hr flight time, no individual screens for your seat (I can survive that)
- the least amount of leg room I've ever had: I'm 5'7" with relatively long legs and my knees were ALWAYS touching the seat in front of me. If you are any taller and/or have long legs I'd suggest to consider a different airline.