Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Paris

I have been reading RS Paris and am wondering what the best day trips would be. Chateaux: Versailles, Fontainbleau or Vaux le Vicomte? Is it worth going to Chartres after visiting Notre Dame? Are D-Day beaches manageable? I am wondering what are the best options for a break outside the city. I enjoy history, architecture, nature so any advice is appreciated!

Posted by
4132 posts

I haven't visited all those chateaux, so no recommendation.

But, while they are all different, Versailles is really in a class by itself, in terms of scale (of palace, gardens, and crowds) if nothing else. You can make the case that a smaller, less busy place is more accessible.

In any case, you get more out of it by reading about the period in advance.

For Chartres vs Notre Dame, they are really different cathedrals. Read a little on both.

Of course, you can visit Notre Dame and then decide if Gothic cathedrals are your thing. The nice thing about day trips is you can change your plans easily. The same goes for the chateaux; see one before you commit to seeing them all.

Posted by
2081 posts

Steve,

I spent all of my time in Paris other than my trip to Normandy. In my opinion and time spent in Normandy, you will need 1 full day to see most of the US sights. That doesnt include travel time to/from Paris either. I stayed in Bayeux when i did the Normandy tour and i could have easily spent another 2 more days seeing the other sights.

if you want to do it justice, look for more time up there.

If i remember correctly there are some bus tours from Paris to Normandy. the down side is you leave o dark early and go back late too. dont know how much you see or how long the tour is either.

Also, i didnt plan or make it to Versailles on my trip since im saving that for when i return. but from my research its doable for a day trip.

I only went to Notre dame in Paris, no Chartres. I should have since i studied it in my art/architecture class. but it will leave me something to go back and see.

others will be able to give you more info/feedback on the other places and what i gone over.

Happy trails.

Posted by
10544 posts

What time of year are you traveling? That will make a big difference in terms of your outdoor experiences.

Versailles is a very easy day trip from Paris. In addition to the palace there are smaller (and less opulent ) buildings and extensive gardens. It's the best of both worlds and would address your preferences. Another nice day trip you don't mention is Giverny. It is currently closed for the season, but will reopen in the spring.

Posted by
9110 posts

Fontainebleau is the best of the chateaux.

Chartres is the best of the cathedrals.

The beaches as a day trip won't be worth it.

Posted by
9436 posts

I love Versailles, Fontainebleau and Vaux-le-Vicomte all equally. Each one is a m a z i n g and very worth your time. Vaux and Fontainebleau will be less crowded by far, but the gardens at Versailles are never crowded (only the palace is). Hard choice. They're all easy to get to. Read about each one and pick one.. or better yet, go to all three!

I know it's heresy on this board, but I like Notre Dame way more than Chartres.

Visiting Normandy and the D-Day sites is profound and very worth it, but to really do it justice you need at least 3 full days imo.

Posted by
12 posts

Hi Steve,

Of the chateaux, I have only been to Versaille. Also, I haven't been to Chartres (we went on a day trip to Normandy instead!) so this won't be a comprehensive summary.

Versaille is definitely worthwhile, although it's pretty much the only place in I've been to in Europe where I repeatedly said to myself, "Wow, they really need a company like Aramark to come in here and manage this place!" Everyone, please DON'T HATE me for saying that - I don't really expect Europe to "feel" like the US, but the lack of employees/guides, signage, toilets, decent food, and transportation throughout the grounds of Versaille (and I'm speaking as an able-bodied, avid walker) was maddening.

We did go to Normandy as a day trip. It was a long day - leaving by 8 am and home after 10 pm. Took the train to Bayeux from Paris then met with a semi-private tour group (about 6 of us) in Bayeux. We really enjoyed it - we saw the American cemetery in Caen, Omaha Beach, Utah Beach, and Pointe-du-Hoc. Was it a comprehensive Normandy/WWII memorial visit? Of course not - nor did we expect it to be; we knew it would just be a few highlights but I wouldn't say you "can't do it justice" in a day. Spending the day there piqued our interest and let us know that on another trip we would enjoy staying at least several days in Normandy. Also, it's really nice to see a part of the country that is overall so very different from Paris.

So I would make up my mind strictly based on what type of trip you want - Versaille is a monument to excess, with tons of walking, lots of "decor" to see, and in many ways is/feels like a Parisian suburb - while our day in Normandy was very moving, reflective and sobering and felt like a completely different part of France. The weather was cool and rainy in Normandy but it wasn't a problem for us.

Best wishes and have fun!
Lindsay

Posted by
3580 posts

Rouen is an easy day-trip and has a famous cathedral. The city itself is pleasant for strolling, eating, and photography. Most of the town is walkable from the train station.

Posted by
9436 posts

For the gardens at Versailles, we really enjoy renting bikes (by the Grand Canal and not expensive) and riding all over to see everything.

Posted by
8293 posts

What about a Half-Day trip? You can go to Chateau Malmaison easily in less than an hour from central Paris. Small chateau, pretty, was supposedly Empress Josephine's favourite abode. You can go there and be back in Paris in time for lunch. Or there is quite a good restaurant just where you get off the bus in Malmaison.

Posted by
32321 posts

steve,

A day trip to Versailles would definitely be worthwhile, especially as it's so easy to get to. If you plan to have a look at both the Chateau and the gardens, plan for at least 4-6 hours. Depending on what time-of-year you're going to be there, the crowds could be huge so you'll spend more time waiting in queues to get into the Chateau. You might find it helpful to download the free RS Versailles audio guide, so that you can have a "personalized tour" of the Chateau as you're wandering around.

The D-Day beaches are not as practical for a day trip due to the travel times back and forth to Bayeux, but as another reply indicated a short trip is possible if you're willing to spend a LONG day on that. The beaches are not practical to visit without a car, so the best idea is to take one of the excellent local tours. You'll also learn more about the history and it will be a much more interesting experience. A half-day tour with Overlord Tours or one of the others should work. If time permits, having a look at the historic Bayeux Tapestry would also be good.

Happy travels!

Posted by
15768 posts

I enjoyed a day trip to Chartres. In addition to the cathedral, it was lovely to wander through the surrounding village.

I would choose Versailles over Fontainebleau because of the out-buildings and extensive gardens. Try to go on a day when the fountains are turned on (usually weekends and Tuesdays).

The day trip I still haven't done is Rheims, to see the cathedral and visit several champagne houses.

Posted by
4160 posts

Just returned from Europe , Paris was our last port of call . This time ,we took a day out to Reims to see the cathedral and wander in the town , both of which were wonderful . The trip is only forty minutes from Gare De L'est on the TGV . Also , while there we visited The Museum of the Surrender , the schoolhouse where Eisenhower made his headquarters ,and where the Germans formally signed the unconditional capitulation to the Allies on May 7 1945 .

Posted by
658 posts

Thanks for everyone's advice. I am thinking Chartres and Vaux le Vicomte as RS guidebook indicates this is the prettiest of the chateaux. I am planning for early June but may need to wait till September.

Posted by
2153 posts

Steve, this book is a good resource and may be helpful to you - "An Hour from Paris" by Annabel Simms. Hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
6713 posts

Also Paris to the Past: Traveling Through French History by Train, by Ina Caro. Each chapter is about a different day trip from Paris, including Chartres and all three chateaux you mentioned. I agree with others that the D-Day beaches are "a bridge too far," if you'll pardon the expression, for one day.