Please sign in to post.

travel from Frankfurt to Munich

We will be traveling to Germany in May (we decided to bite the bullet on the expensive money exchange). We made in error when booking the trip and are landing in Frankfurt but are traveling to Munich. We have been told that it's not expensive to travel from Frankfurt to Munich but right now I can't find anything less than 58 euros. There are 3 of us traveling so we're thinking it would be less for us to rent a car drive to Munich. We will be in Munich for 2 days then going to Fussen where we will be staying for the remain of our visit. We will also need to get back to Frankfurt at the end of our trip. Any suggestions

Posted by
208 posts

I just went on the Bahn website and on some of the trains there is a 29 Euro fare and there are others where they are 39 Euros. I didn't even see a fare for 58 Euros.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you book NOW at www.bahn.de you should be able to get 29€ Dauer-Spezial fares for Frankfurt Flughafen-Muenchen. The tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable so be sure to give yourself plenty of time between your scheduled arrival by plane and your departure by train. You can get the same Dauer-Spezial fare for Fuessen-Frankfurt Flughafen by booking NOW.

For Muenchen-Fuessen simply buy a Bayern-Ticket in Muenchen. 27€ total for all three of you if you travel after 09:30 on weekdays (anytime on weekends), but you are limited to regional trains.

Posted by
1358 posts

Since I always rent a car when I'm in Europe, I will suggest that you read a car for your travel day or. Three of you should, sharing the experience, can travel cheaper than going by train.

I also would prefer a car for the drive to Fussen be cause train schedules are very difficult to manage in that part of Germany.

I always prefer using the car in Europe because it is so convenient. I have traveled by bus and by train in Germany so I can easily compare the convenience of having a car with travel on the train.

If you rent a car be sure to ask for a diesel model.

Posted by
19106 posts

Just because Carl can't manage the train schedules in Germany doesn't mean you can't. I've spent well over a hundred days traveling in Germany by car, train, and bus, and I have found that public transportation is easy to understand and provides the lowest cost.

In October, I went from Munich to Oberammergau, then along the Romantic Road to Würzburg in seven days. My quote for a car plus fuel was over $350, but I did it by public transportation for only $132.

Three of you can travel from FRA to Munich using RMV tickets and a Bayern- Ticket for less than €50, and you don't have to spend time waiting to rent a car.

The train from Munich to Hohenschwangau might take a few minute longer than driving, but you know what time you are going to get there - no delays due to traffic jams or making the wrong turn, and since you can do it round trip for only €27, it's almost less than fuel for a car, let alone rental costs. And, BTW, although you are limited to regional train, that is all that runs directly from Munich to Füssen.