Please sign in to post.

RS Convertible Carry-on

I know this issue has been discussed so much on this helpline but I have a few questions.
I'm definitely more of a backpack person and I've been looking at the RS Convertible for a while now. I am now convinced to carry-on and not to check in my luggage (it was an issue for a while because Air Transat has ridiculous carry-on allowance for flights to the UK so I changed for Delta Airlines) I like that it is pretty roomy and is very light.
This may sound like a weird question but does anyone has a picture of the Convertible bag on their pack? It looks kind of square-ish on the picture and I can't picture how it would look on my back. I have to add that I am not very tall (I'm about 5'1" and weight something like 115).
I just want to make sure it doesn't look like it's too big for me before I buy it.
Thank you!

Posted by
3428 posts

I am 5'1" and find Rick's bag to be very comfortable. I don't know how it looks, but it FEELS great. I have used the same bag for more than 20 years (40+ trips) and it still looks new. I get asked about it alot when I travel- people really like it.

Posted by
9099 posts

I'm 5'3", 56 and a few more pounds than you. LOVE the bag. Travel with it ALL the time. It is ALL about not checking baggage for me and this great bag is ideal.

Posted by
16063 posts

The Rick Steves Travel Store is selling the convertible bag this week only for 20% off.....

Posted by
44 posts

Hi Vanessa,

I don't know if this helps, but if you look at this page on the RS website:

http://tours.ricksteves.com/tours08/touressentials.cfm

or just go to the "tour essentials" page, there is a photo on the right half of the page, 2 or 3 pics down, of a couple smiling at the camera. They're both wearing the RS convertable bag..it APPEARS one is expanded and one is not.

I don't know if that helps, but I hope so!

Posted by
44 posts

Hi Vanessa, I was just checking in...did you decide on a bag?

Posted by
82 posts

I'll wait until I hear from the RS staff. I emailed them a couple of days ago. I know the savings I would do by buying it right now would be great but you know, just in case, I'd rather wait.
Thanks for all the input!