Please sign in to post.

weather in Edinburgh/Aberdeen area end of May

We are traveling to Edinburgh/Aberdeen Scotland area end of May. What kind of raincoat, rainwear, heavy coat(?) should we pack? Do we need to pack one? What is average temp for that area? Is there a good website to look on for average rainfall/average temp for certain month historically?
Many thanks!
Tami

Posted by
389 posts

Tami, the weather will be "unpredictable." Averages are nice, but they are that. One year it is pouring at that time of year, the next warm and beautiful. I was there the beginning of June (2 weeks after your planned date?) and it was 65 and we only had 1 day of rain in 2 weeks. I suggest layers of sweaters/fleece and a rain coat, not heavy coat. Hopefully you won't be greeted by any day time temps lower than 50 (I know, cold by Metroplex standards) and probably some rain. With all the castles to explore around Aberdeen, there is so much to do inside anyway, you'd be lugging a big coat around. Have a great time!

Posted by
505 posts

Unpredictable is putting it mildly. You learn pretty quickly in Scotland to ignore the weather forecasts and just plan for every possibility when going out for the day.

This March has been colder than January - heavy snow north and west of Edinburgh today, and we had sleet yesterday. Several times we've had snow, rain, hail and bright blue skies - all in one day.

Layers are best. A good waterproof jacket is a must, and either wool or fleece sweaters for warmth and for misty rain. Plus, a good solid pair of shoes that will be comfy, and have good grip in mud/wet cobblestones etc.

Have fun!
Kate

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks to all of you for great info!! Very helpful!!