Please sign in to post.

ATM limits

If your daily limit is $300 do you ask for 300 euros in Germany or do you have to figure out the amount in euros to equal $300.

Posted by
9369 posts

You ask for the equivalent of 300 dollars. 300 euros would be over your limit.

Posted by
1201 posts

Marge

I'd suggest doing two things before you leave. Have your bank raise your daily limit to maybe $500. Tell them you are going overseas and the dates, so their internal security won't flag your account because of the overseas activity.

With the dollar-euro these dys $300 doesn't go very far.

Posted by
5 posts

thanks for the replies. I will try to get the limit increased. Also is it correct that only checking account debit cards work in europe? Why not debit cards on savings accounts?

Posted by
258 posts

I have my checking at a credit union (& not a large bank), so I'm not sure if it's make a difference or not. But on my recent trip I found that some ATMs seemed to communicate with my bank and some didn't. Several times I was allowed to get more than my measley limit of $200. My CU will not let you raise your daily limit of $200 twice a day (for a total of $400/day). So it was nice that some allowed me to withdrawal more. Just punch in a number and see if it accepts it or not. If not it will tell you so and you will need to choose a lower amount.

Posted by
14 posts

From someone who worked at a bank:
-Ask your bank to increase your limit. You will likely be charged something like $5 each time you withdraw cash. Take as much as possible.
-Credit card cash advances may cost you less- if you prepay the account. You won't have interest charges if you're just dipping into the amount you have overpaid, but will be charged interest from day one until the whole balance is paid if you use credit.
-Regardless of the account type, what you need is to be able to push the 'chequing' button to withdraw your cash. Your bank should be able to assign the chequing button to either a current or a saving account.
-If you attempt to withdraw over your daily limit, your card will likely be frozen. Have a toll-free number handy to call your bank should this occur.
-You must use compatible bank machines. Usually the ones with the plus sign (as can be seen on the back of your client card) will work. They must be part of the Interac system or they won't be compatible.

Posted by
365 posts

Marge, asking your bank to raise your limit is good advice. Also, your bank will probably have partner banks in Germany that will allow you to withdraw a larger amount. Call your bank to find out the name of partner banks, don't expect this info to exist on your bank's website.

Posted by
4555 posts

Be aware that, in some countries, bank ATMs have their own internal limits so you will only be able to withdraw a certain amount per day, no matter how high your limit is at home. The tightest I have seen was 300 Euro/day at some banks in Spain, but that's still a fair bit of cash to go through in a day! As far as I am aware, Bank of America is the only U-S bank that has connections with some overseas banks for no ATM charges...they're linked with Deutsche Bank in Germany.