Please sign in to post.

Euro Travelers Checks

Do hotels in Europe levy a service charge if you want to cash a Euro travelers check at the desk?

Posted by
7209 posts

I think a better question might be can you actually FIND a hotel that cashes travelers cheques.

Posted by
1455 posts

agreed. Its way easier to bring your ATM card to get cash. ATMs are everywhere and you can get your cash as soon as you land.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you wish, take some US dollars travelers checks with you to use in case of an emergency. Plan to bring them home unspent. Otherwise use credit cards for major purchases and get cash from ATMs for everything else. There are some important things to do BEFORE leaving home to be sure your cards will work in Europe. Read this helpful article: www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm.

Posted by
331 posts

Dugald, I would not get any kind of travelers checks. We used Euro travelers cheques in 2003 and it was like pulling teeth to get people to accept them. Your best bet is to take the previous suggestions. If you feel the need to take a little cash, then use a money belt. Our last couple of trips we have landed with less than $100 US in our pockets and used CC and ATMs. All the ATMs we came across were multilingual. Something we could use here in the States.

Posted by
934 posts

I also suggest putting 200.00 US dollars in your money belt as backup.You probably wont need to use them but they provide peace of mind just in case.