Please sign in to post.

Laptop Security

Up until now, I've gotten away from having to travel with my laptop. Now, it looks like I'm going to start with a new very small ultraportable. I'm concerned about going through airport security. I know I have to put the laptop in a separate bin. I wear the same thing every time I travel. Sometimes it beeps and sometimes it doesn't. I'm concerned that if I'm forced to be "wanded," someone will just pick up the laptop and walk away. (it's a micro-laptop).

Any suggestions on how to stop this from happening?

Posted by
990 posts

Kent's suggestion is a good one. If you're really worried, though, you might think about a less beep-worthy travel outfit. Especially if you travel a lot, it's worth it to be able to stroll through the detectors dependably.

I also travel with a very tiny laptop, the OQO, that's about the size of two decks of cards. Last week when I was coming through the TSA screening, the screener pointed out to me that I didn't need to take my PDA out for screening (!) So if it's that small...

Posted by
64 posts

I plan on taking my mac book to europe. I always take it with me in plane travel and keep an eye on the bins and it''s all good. There are so many stormtroopers around that they should be able to tackle someone if they try to steal it! Keep an eye on it.

Posted by
102 posts

my mom who is 72, and 5ft, looks like a little grandma is pulled aside every single time....I swear...I think it's because TSA wants to prove they don't profile...

everytime she is asked to FIRST gather her belongings, step aside then the search and wanding begin...

and yes the pat down has happened too!

Posted by
15087 posts

The last couple of times I got wanded, I wasn't allowed to get my belongings and mentioned that I wanted to keep an eye on them.

It makes no sense to let you get your belongings first. If I have something in my pocket, and try to sneak it through, I can easily put it into my bag while I'm 'collecting my belongings" and before I get wanded or even pat down.

None if this stuff makes sense to me. But then I think much of what TSA does is for show.

Posted by
805 posts

Every time I've been wanded (although its been a while) they ask you to face your baggage while they are doing it so that no one steals it. I wouldn't worry too much as a result.

A good tip though, take everything out of your pockets except your ID and put it either into one of the bins or your bag. Having done that, I rarely set off the metal detector.