Please sign in to post.

Planning ahead

My husband, daughter and I would like to travel to italy in April end 8 days in italy and then another 5-6 days in austria. This is our first trip to italy and austria
We would like to do Rome Vatican Florence and Venice,a few day trips.we don't want to lug our bags from hotel to hotel so we are looking for a base from where we can do all these places. In austria we want to do Innsbruck Salzburg Vienna. We have a young teen traveling with us so pls suggest fun things to do We can either fly into Rome and leave from Vienna or vice versa. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Posted by
23548 posts

Go get Rick Steves' guide book for Rome or Italy and Austria. The books will answer many most of your questions and many you have not thought of. Then come back with any questions the books didn't answer or if you want some suggestions from experience.

Posted by
9110 posts

Are you saying that you want to see Rome, Venice, and Florence all from one place and Salzburg and Vienna from one other place?

Posted by
32321 posts

Asha, There's NO possible way to have a "a base from where we can do all these places", so lugging your bags from city-to-city will be necessary. Although I'd normally suggest starting in the north, for travel in April it might be best to start in Rome as it will be warmer, and then work north to Austria. Is there any way you could add a few days to your trip? It could be challenging to see everything you've listed in the time frame you have. You could consider something along these lines.... > D1 - Flight to Rome > D2,D3 - Rome and Vatican > D4 - Train to Florence > D5,D6 - Florence > D7 - Train to Venice > D8 - Venice > D9 - Train & Bus to Salzburg (Bus from Venice Tronchetto to Villach, Train to Salzburg - trip will take 6H:28M, so the better part of a day) > D10, D11 - Salzburg > D12 - Train to Vienna > D13 - Vienna > D14 - Flight home I'd suggest dropping Innsbruck as you really don't have time for it. At best you might only be able to spend one night there, which is a waste of time and effort to change hotels and move to another location after such a short visit. There are lots of different ways this could be arranged, and this is only one suggestion. In terms of "fun things to do", I'd suggest having a look at a few Guidebooks. It's difficult to make suggestions as I don't know what type of activities you or your young teen might enjoy. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
11613 posts

Lonely Planet guidebooks have info on things to do with children/teens.

Posted by
1976 posts

You mention 8 days in Italy for 3 cities, which allows you 2.6 days per city without allowing for travel time or day trips. You might want to pare down your Italy visit to 2 places (Rome and Florence or Florence and Venice) for a little more time in each city.

Posted by
4 posts

Going through all the suggestion I realize that 8 days in Italy is a mad rush. I will just do Italy 14 days. My choice of cities is more or less the same. I want to start in Rome and end up in Venice. Please suggest a doable itenary. Thanx everyone

Posted by
4 posts

Going through all the suggestion I realize that 8 days in Italy is a mad rush. I will just do Italy 14 days. My choice of cities is more or less the same. I want to start in Rome and end up in Venice. Please suggest a doable itenary. Thanx everyone

Posted by
6898 posts

Asha, speaking of "lugging" your bags, how much luggage are your bringing. A 2-week trip to Italy should fit in one 23" bag plus a small carry-on. To see Rome, Florence and Venice, it will be quite difficult to do this out of one location. You could base out of Florence but your visits to Rome and Venice would be day trips which doesn't really work.

Posted by
32321 posts

Asha, In your original post you stated "we are looking for a base from where we can do all these places". Even if you limit your trip to Italy, it's not really practical to visit all the places on your list from one location. Therefore you'll have to contend with hauling your bags around to some extent. As Larry mentioned, it would be a good idea to keep the "pack light" philosophy in mind. If you could clarify whether you still want to stay in one location, it would be easier to suggest an Itinerary.

Posted by
4 posts

Let's start afresh. Have about 14 days to holiday in italy. Would like to do Rome Vatican Florence and Venice. I want to do all the touristy places and would like suggestions for any "off the beaten tracks" kind of places. Ty