Please sign in to post.

Cell Phone

Simple question: When taking a smartphone to Europe is it necessary to have a special sim card for using just wifi alone?

Posted by
658 posts

Last month I was afraid of getting roaming charges, so I removed the sim card and used wifi just fine.

Posted by
9110 posts

If you switch Cellular Data OFF, you don't have to sweat losing the stinking card. Yanking the card kills voice and text.

Posted by
32321 posts

kurt, If would help to have some additional information..... > What type of Smartphone? > Which network are you with? > What are you planning to use the phone for in Europe?

Posted by
9369 posts

You don't need a SIM card at all just to use wifi. My smartphone doesn't even work as a phone in Europe (not GSM), but I use the apps and internet on wifi everywhere without a problem. Wifi is wifi - makes no difference what kind of phone you have.

Posted by
658 posts

Yanking the card kills voice and text. What voice and text did it kill? I brought my phone only to access the internet. I had no problems.

Posted by
32321 posts

@Steve, If the OP wants to use voice and text while there, removing the SIM card will not allow that. While that method worked well for you as you only needed Wi-Fi data access, it won't necessarily work for everyone (depending on individual circumstances). I'm still waiting for an answer on what the OP plans to use the phone for. It's difficult to provide detailed advice without knowing that. Cheers!

Posted by
9369 posts

Since he said he wanted to use it "for just wifi alone" I'm guessing he only wants it for internet access - which would still allow texting via a text app and voice calls via Skype. He still wouldn't need a SIM card. My phone doesn't even use a SIM and I could still use everything over wifi.