Please sign in to post.

Crazy Europe Trip

I am a 59 year old single female. I have a trip in my head but no one to do it with. I would like to travel to Europe on a cruise ship, spend the summer with a rail pass in medium price hotels, and come back to the states on a ship in the fall. Anyone game?

Posted by
989 posts

I am 62 but have to work 7 more years before I can retire and take a long trip like that. As a matter of fact, I want to stay long enough, to take repositioning cruises both inbound and outbound....or maybe just stay for an entire year. Hope you find a friend to travel with....keep me in mind for the future please YOu know, you could travel just by yourself. Lots of women do it..

Posted by
32213 posts

Jean, While your plan sounds like a nice way to have a "crazy Europe trip", there are a few realities to keep in mind..... 1.) You'll have to make sure that your time in the Schengen area doesn't exceed 90 days, as you could face severe penalties. That includes most of western Europe, but not the U.K. 2.) Note that Railpasses DO NOT include the supplemental reservation charges which are compulsory on the premium trains. You'll need to pay out-of-pocket for those. Especially in Italy, don't be caught without valid reservations or you'll be subject to hefty fines which will be collected on the spot! As the previous reply mentioned, it's very easy to travel solo. I'm in the same age range and often travel on my own without any problems. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
8464 posts

Jean go to the link for Graffiti Wall above, and look for the forum under Help for "European Travel Partners Wanted". You might find a like-minded person there.

Posted by
14538 posts

Hi, Why is the projected Europe trip "crazy?" If you have got no health issues, etc that you can see as possible problems, you can of course do this trip, solo or with a partner, either on a cruise or just yourselves. Remember if the 20somethings can do it, so can you. It's a matter of determination and will, asuming you have the finances. How much luxury you want or, to put it another way, how much luxury you're willing to dispense with? The rail pass issue...depends on how it's going to be used, where, for what purpose, what type of trains, which Pass, etc.

Posted by
7039 posts

Jean, I think it's a marvelous idea and I wish I was available to do it with you but next summer is already planned. I have explored the same idea myself and there are some things to think about. One is the trans-atlantic cruises back and forth. If you're willing to pay normal off-season cruise rates you can pretty much pick when you want to go and return (usually on the Queen Mary to London). If you're looking for the cheaper repositioning cruises, they usually end in early May going to Europe and start again in October going to US. Best prices I found were going from Miami or Ft Lauderdale (and sometimes from San Juan PR) to Barcelona or Rome. Since these times put you in Europe for more than 90 days, you'll have to plan some time in non-schengen countries like Great Britain. Of course if you weigh the cost of the add'l time in Europe against paying more for the regular cruises, it may work out about the same. Regarding mid-priced hotels, unless you're only staying in a place a day or two it would make more sense economically to use apartments and base yourself in a place for one or several weeks at a time. As much as I like traveling solo, this one would probably cost too much for me to do alone, sharing costs would be much more efficient. I hope you find someone to share it with you and just go for it.

Posted by
11613 posts

You might consider several segments of traveling with someone (it may be difficult to find one compatible travel partner for the amount of time you have), and sometimes traveling solo. I travel solo most of the time, it has some benefits.

Posted by
59 posts

I have traveled overseas by myself twice, but it is nice to have a companion to share the experiences and the costs. It has already been mentioned to post for a partner on RS site, but I would also recommend your local newspaper, where it would be easy to then meet in person before embarking and really ascertaining if your personalities mesh. Nothing ruins a trip more than being paired with the wrong travel partner. Better to go it alone! I was lucky when I posted my ad (this was about 13 years ago). I was in my 30s and I got only one reply but she was THE most perfect travel partner: easy going, able to adapt to any changes, money not an issue, etc. During our trip she celebrated her 60th birthday. Great memories of that trip..... Good luck with your plans!