Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Copenhagen

I am travelling in a group of 5 and we will be in Copenhagen in the end of April. We are having the hardest time finding a HOSTEL that is nice and cheap to stay at. Any suggestions?

Posted by
1717 posts

Gitte Kongstad rents two apartments, each is an entire floor in her 100-year old house. You will have a kitchen, little garden, use of a computer for internet access, and bicycles. It is located south of Christianshavn, near the Lergravsparken METRO stop. A photograph of the interior of one of the apartments can be seen on the internet at www.houseofcolors.dk
Her E-mail < [email protected].
She might not reply to E-mail in February. If her place is not available for the end of April, try the B & B of Annette and Rudy Hollender : it is in Christianshavn. E-mail < [email protected] Annette might be able to accomodate five people in two rooms. Free bicycles are available near their house. And it is near a METRO stop.
A room for three people is not easy to find in Europe. And remember : there is no cheap place to stay at in or near Copenhagen. I was there in May of 2007. I liked Copenhagen : it is very European.

Posted by
102 posts

Amanda...CPH is really wonderful, but cheap is rarely if ever used in the same sentence.

The Marriott is often on priceline.com and you can bid for that and put all of you in the same room.

also at one time Radisson SAS was offering Advanced Purchase non refundable rates during off season as low as 79 euro...dividing that between 5 wouldnt be too bad.

I know these are not hostels, BUT depending on the rate it could be low enough to put quite a few in the room as these are considered chain hotels with larger rooms than usual for Europe.

hot dog carts are your friends, along with HOHO and CPH card!!!

have a wonderful time...it's beautiful city!

Posted by
21 posts

Thank you both! I will look into your suggestions. I guess more than a hostel its hard to find a place that will accomodate 5 without us each staying in a separate room. This is in the middle of a whirlwind trip that i am very excited for so thanks for the encouragement!

Posted by
5555 posts

Amanda, have you checked any of the hostels operated by Hostelling International?

www.hihostels.com

Years ago, I stayed at one of the HI hostels in Copenhagen. It has been so long that I cannot remember which one or what the facilities were like. However, hostels in Scandinavia are generally of very good quality and about the least expensive alternative. They often will let a group reserve a dorm style room (e.g. 4 bed or 6 bed rooms) to themselves.

Posted by
505 posts

Greetings

The new(ish) hostel in Vesterbro

is supposed to be very nice, if spare. I think they have rooms for four people, not sure about 5.

I would second the sentiment that 'cheap' and 'Copenhagen' don't generally go hand in hand. Generally you will be hard pressed to find hotel rooms for less than $100 per night, though hostels are cheaper.

Kate

Posted by
31 posts

Amadna,

I am wondering the same exact thing! Nobody responded to my post in the other section... I think we're going to have to sleep in the train station.

Posted by
4 posts

The Danhostel Copenhagen City is your best bet - if it is available: http://danhostel.dk/copenhagencity. The site is only in Danish, but you can email them at [email protected] or click the big "Book online button." They are located in the heart of everything, so you can walk pretty much anywhere.

I also second the recommendation for Gitte's. The place is a little funky and worn, but she has bikes you can use and there is a kitchen for cooking meals which will save you loads of money.