Please sign in to post.

Driving from Zurich to Milan in November

My husband and I are considering driving from Zurich to Milan in November. I see the passes are closed. Do you go through the Gotthard tunnel? Realistically how long does it take and what are the weather conditions?

Posted by
2422 posts

Did you check the drop fees for getting car in one country and leaving it in another. Also you need international driving permit for Italy.

Posted by
19234 posts

Why drive? According to the German Rail (Bahn) website, there are 3 direct connections via EC on the Gotthard route each weekday in November. The train trip takes less than 4 hours and you can sit and watch the scenery, not the road, and you don't have to worry about what the weather might be.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the quick reply. My husband loves to drive so we will see...

Posted by
2829 posts

Geez, somebody asked about DRIVING, why not at least give DRIVING information on top of other advice? ======= Sally, it is easy to drive between both cities. You can to through the Gotthard tunnel, which is the major highway link over that route. No big deal, really. The highway is kept open as much as possible. They rarely close it off, when it happens, it is often a matter of couple hours before they reopen it - and they put extensive signaling to that would-be drivers don't go through the most snowed in sectors. On a good weather day, count 4 hours for total driving time + one rest stop.

Posted by
6 posts

Andre: Thanks for the ANSWER! Have a beautiful day. God bless.