Please sign in to post.

Carry on size question

Hello. I am flying to Scotland on KLM in a couple of weeks. The KLM site says I'm allowed a 21.5 x 10 x 13.5 carry on. All of the bags on this site as well as many others show bags at 22 x 10 x 14. If I get a bag that size, am I going to be dinged by the airline? I checked other sites and see that Air France is 21 x 13 x 9 and British Airways lists a huge 22 x 18 x 10. With all this discrepancy, will we be okay to have bags that are maybe a half inch longer?

Posted by
20955 posts

Since the site actually says 55cm X 25cm X 35cm, it is more precisely 21.654" X 9.843" X 13.780". I think that 22 X 10 X 14 is close enough that it will pass. KLM isn't RyanAir you know. Besides, since its an international flight, you get one free checked bag anyway. Your total weight of your carry on stuff must be less than 12 kg (26.458 lb). If you are connecting on Delta, theirs is slightly different 56cm X 23cm X 35cm.
They are really interested that it will fit in the overhead bin lengthwise, so if it isn't much over 22 inches long (including the wheels) and 10 inches high, it should fit OK. Of course the overhead bins can be smaller on connecting aircraft.

Posted by
19234 posts

Possibly, but if they reject the carryon for not meeting their criteria, you have no complaint. As for the size, if you have a rigid roller type, the wheels and handle might even exceed the 21.5 inch length and you probably can't force it into a sizing box, and you might not be able to squeeze it into the 13.5 width, either, whereas a soft sided, convertible bag, if not completely stuffed, can deform to fit.

Posted by
23548 posts

The answer to that question is a huge maybe. It will all depend on the gate personal and whether or not they make you put the bag in a sizing box. It has only been a couple of times but have stood in lines where each bag was being placed in a box and weighed. If it didn't fit it was checked. Most soft side bags will fit because they can be mashed a bit to fit. Most wheeled luggage failed because the wheels and handle are not a part of the overall measurements when sold as carry on. To answer your question directly, you probably will be OK. But notice that the operative word is probably.

Posted by
9369 posts

No way to know. Each airline makes their own rules, as you have discovered. It will depend on whether or not they measure (sometimes yes, sometimes no). And the listed size isn't what they go by - it's the actual physical measurement including wheels and handle. Not overstuffing your bag may make it less noticeable. I haven't flown with KLM, so I don't know how strict they are.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks everyone. That's about what I figured. We're trying to go with just carryons, but may have to check the bags.

Posted by
707 posts

Here's a bag that actually fits those Air France dimensions: Campmor Essential Carry On: 13 x 21 x 9. 1 lb. 12. oz. 2825 cu. in. are claimed, though I only come up with c. 2457, still plenty for packing light. I just found this bag on another site (thanks to Lee from CO), and am mentioning it here because it is seeming like the Holy Grail of carry-ons, a bag that will actually satisfy European carry-on restrictions! Seems like every other possible market niche has plenty of options, but bags that will get past Ryan Air etc. are strangely scarce.

Posted by
707 posts

Sorry, I forgot to add that the bag in the previous post converts to a backpack.

Posted by
441 posts

If you fly on one of the airlines that allows a larger bag but have any flights within Europe on other airlines, the measurements will be less. The Essential Carryon looks better all the time.

Posted by
1081 posts

I have flown to Europe and from country to country using Easy Jet and KLM with the Rick Steves Rolling Backpack and have never had a problem. It fits in the overhead compartments just fine and the gate people have never even looked at it twice. My friend has a Patagonia MLC and he has never had a problem either but then we have never flown Ryan Air. When I fly to Europe I always try to schedule a Airbus jet because the overhead bins are much bigger than the Boeing jets, also the seats are more comfortable for sleeping.

Posted by
1175 posts

We have been forced to check our carry-ons at the gate by British Airways returning to the US even though they made it over just fine on American Airlines. Our trip to Rome this week on Air Berlin means we'll have to check one bag since our normal carry-ons won't fit and they are strict. We have to change planes in Berlin unfortunately, since that seems to be the black hole for lost luggage. Oh well, we can always buy new designer clothing in Italy, not! Flea market stuff will be just fine.... :-) We always travel using carry-ons but not this trip. At least I can pack a wine opener and not have to buy one over there.

Posted by
19234 posts

My only objection to the Essential Carryon is that it's too big for me. After years of learning to pack light I've reduced the volume I pack to about 1400 ci. That amount fits in an Appenzell bag, but just barely, with no extra room, so I don't use my Appenzell bag (anyway, the Appenzell bag doesn't open like a book, which makes packing more difficult, and it doesn't have hideaway straps). I love the size (~2000 ci) of the Rolling Backpack, but the weight (5½#) is ridiculous. With the small size, if they would lose the wheels and get the weight down to around 2#, we would have a really good alternative to the Essential Carryon for light packers. With that small a size and only a few pound for the bag, you wouldn't need wheels! But Rick's luggage manager doesn't see it that way.

Posted by
4085 posts

Enforcement may be stricter on the Amsterdam-Scotland legs of your flights. Depending on the Scottish destination, you could be on either a small Boeing jet or a commuter aircraft where luggage space is more limited.
Anyhow, better to follow all the clearly specified rules and relax about squeezing your way aboard.

Posted by
1840 posts

One bag I have seen lately that is smaller than the Essential Carry-on is the Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender. Its 13x20x8 and 2.9lbs, 2500cuin. I would buy it if I needed a new bag but my old Magellan's Borneo Bag is like new after 16 years.

Posted by
16038 posts

I have the Eagle Creek Adventure Weekender and it's now one of my two "go to" bags. Lee, have you checked out the Goodhope Convertible? http://www.wayfair.com/Goodhope-Bags-Convertible-18-3-Way-Carry-On-Duffel-7260-GHB1367.html It's 18 x 12 x 6.6, 2 lbs, about 1400 cu in, opens like a suitcase, hideaway backpack straps, internal tie down straps, three external pockets, $28. I have one and reviewed it a couple of years ago. On another subject, I find that people ask about "carry-ons" but rarely state if they mean wheels or no-wheels. In regard to responses, those who travel with wheels assume the questioner means a carry-on with wheels. Those who don't use wheels assume the questioner means no wheels.

Posted by
12313 posts

I've watched SAS employees walk around the waiting area measuring bags. People had to check their bag if they exceeded size or weight limits. They didn't even measure ours, a convertible for me and a 20" roll on for my wife (no second personal item), just gave them a quick glance and kept going. I'll echo a lot of what Lee is saying. When traveling, I make sure I stay under the limit of whichever carriers I'm flying (pay attention to both size and weight limits). If I do get measured, I know I'll be fine. I also use a Campmoor Essential Carry On and, like Lee, have only one complaint - it's bigger than what I need. I'd love a similar convertible about two-thirds the size (and still as affordable and light-weight as the Campmoor). I agree with Lee that a soft sided bag can shrink to fit inside a measuring box, but it can go the other way too. If you stuff your convertible carry on beyond capacity, it's likely to bulge to something larger than the advertised width.

Posted by
2092 posts

Jeanne, where are you getting your measurements for Rick's bags? I checked the Travel Store and see that his rolling bag is 13-1/2 x 20 x 9 and his convertible backpack is 9 x 21 x 14.

Posted by
570 posts

I just returned from a trip, and I agree that the Essential Carryon is too big! I would love to find a slightly smaller, similar bag. I looked at that Goodhope bag mentioned above just now and it's a possibility, although reviews mention the quality might not be that great. If anyone has experience with that bag, I'd love to hear about it.

Posted by
2081 posts

Jeanne, just for reference. i got my Ospray Porter 46 (smaller bag) bag at REI and they told me there were 2 different "standards". of course one was slightly largher than the other, so i opted for the smaller of the 2. so far ive only taken the KLM from PDX to AMS and have never been rejected for having too big a bag. knock on wood and your milage may vary. if you stick to the smaller dimensions, you should be okay. now with that said, there are smaller puddle jumpers in europe that have smaller dimensions. im taking an Easyjet flight from London to AMS in a few days and they only allow `ONE carry on. period. my Ospray is okay too. on my trip last year from Dublin to Edinburgh, i had to check in my Ospray since it was too large for AerLingus. read the fine print and just hope your baggage makes it. happy trails.