Please sign in to post.

Rome in November

My children and i will be in Rome, the first Saturday in November. I have a logistical question. Our flight arrives around 11am local time. How long should I estimate to get through customs, get my luggage, and get to downtown Rome? I really want to get into the Vatican Museum, but the last entry ticket is for 3pm. Would we make it (if we stopped to check into our hotel first?) ciao!

Posted by
11294 posts

Assuming you're coming from the US, my view is that you really don't want to see the Vatican Museum the day you land. The first day of arrival is often a jet-lagged haze, and the Vatican Museum can tax even the most awake and alert. The crowds - all tense to just push through to see the Sistine Chapel - and the need to follow the Habitrail-like paths are very taxing. I wasn't jet lagged and still couldn't enjoy it; only my worst enemies deserve to experience it a few hours after a trans-Atlantic flight. How many days do you have in Rome? I'd plan on the Vatican when you've been in Rome as long as possible, so you can be better rested and enjoy it.

Posted by
23548 posts

Harold is correct. Lot of ifs. Last May it took us an hour and half to clear immigrations and another 45 minutes downtown. But others have boasted of going through in 10 minutes. It all depends. You probably could make 3 pm but the children could be in a bad mood by then.

Posted by
110 posts

I would not try to see the Vatican on arrival day. Getting through customs will depend on how many other planes land at the same time(I made it through passport control in about 10 mins since airport was not busy but i had no kids with me). Also planes can be deplayed so you may end up arriving late. Then you either have to wait for a taxi or wait for the train, but no matter what method you try it could take about an hour to get to downtown. It will take you longer then you think to check in at hotel and get settled. You will be to tired and all the stress of trying to be somewhere on time and jet lag will make the day miserable. I would instead just go for a walk around your hotel and enjoy the fresh air. Or you could walk around St Petes square and not go into the museum part.

Posted by
15840 posts

It's hard to predict whether the plane will be timely, but assuming you are at the gate at 11 you won't be downtown much before 1pm, especially if you have checked in baggage. Also I presume you will be going to the hotel and your luggage first. That will add time as well. If also you make the mistake of lying down on your hotel bed for a second you will fall asleep immediately and not get up until dinner time. My rule of thumb on the day of arrival is to do stuff outdoors. I can survive the jet lag and not fall asleep only if I stay in bright sunny places.

Posted by
316 posts

I'll be there by 8:30 the first Monday in November and I'm saving the Vatican until later in the week. I always plan something easy for the first day so we'll be doing the Pantheon and area churches and maybe the catacombs. The Pantheon is easy, is a short taxi trip from the hotel I always stay in and is impressive enough to be a good start to the trip. We can do as much as we feel like and stop when we've had enough. I'd really save the Vatican and Coliseum, the two biggest sights, for days when you're at full energy. The walk to the Sistine alone is quite a hike and you may not enjoy your visit as much if you're not well rested.

Posted by
32321 posts

Leigh, It's difficult to predict how long it will take to get into Rome from FCO, but it would be a good idea to allow about two hours. On different visits to Rome, I've collected luggage and been through Immigration/Passport control in a few minutes, while on other occasions it's taken me a good two hours. In one case, the airport ground staff sent the luggage from my flight to a Carousel in a completely different terminal and inside the security zone. Even the airline staff weren't sure where the luggage had gone. That meant standing in a long queue and going through the usual security "dog & pony show" just to retrieve my bag (which of course took time)! How are you planning to get from the airport into Rome? Which part of the city is your hotel located? Also, how old are your children? As the others have said, it's likely NOT a good idea to plan a visit to the Vatican Museum on your day of arrival. You'll all be jet lagged and tired, and I doubt you'll really be able to appreciate what you're seeing. I'd suggest some "light" sightseeing and a flexible schedule, so that you can return to the hotel if your group starts getting too tired to function. Happy travels!

Posted by
950 posts

No way should you try and do the Vatican Museum after a transatlantic flight. Especially with children - you don't give ages but assume maybe teenagers at least? The museum is crowded and noised, although admittedly by the end of the day it is usually quieter. I assume you want to see the Sistine Chapel - we arrived at the Museum at 9 am when it first opened and we had our tickets in advance; it was still nearly noon by the time we arrived at the chapel - by which time it was jam-packed. In spite of signs asking for no photos and for quiet, it was very noisy, the flashes of umpteen cameras going off and guards yelling, "no photo" and "quiet" and being pushed along by the crowds behind did nothing but make me want to get out of there as quickly as possible. However, I did enjoy the Raphael rooms - less crowded and a chance to really enjoy the paintings. Also the Egyptian galleries - they were just about empty! Timewise - for me Immigration is quick as I use my British passport in Europe, but I had to wait for over an hour before my bag arrived at the carousel and then I had to wait for the driver to take me to my hotel. So, you are all tired and cranky and sticky and travel-worn and you want to go to the Vatican Museum? I'd rethink this and go for a shower, a leisurely lunch (you are in Italy after all, land of leisurely meals) and a stroll and maybe a stop at site like the Pantheon - Rome is intense at the best of times and a gentle introduction is best.