Please sign in to post.

sim card in UK

We are traveling to England and I want to be able to make calls/text to the US and use data. In other countries I have purchased SIM cards to use in my unlocked iPhone 4 for this purpose. We will be landing at Heathrow and then heading for Windsor Castle and on to Bath. Where would you recommend buying the SIM card, Heathrow or on the way to our first stops? I appreciate the help!

Posted by
9363 posts

There are numerous choices at Heathrow. One company, Labara, gives the SIMs away with a small amount of credit on them. I didn't investigate that because I wasn't carrying a phone.

Posted by
32202 posts

Linda, When I was last through LHR, there were vending machines dispensing SIM cards, but I was using a travel SIM so had no need to try them. My suggestion would be to visit a sales point with "live" staff, perhaps a Carphone Warehouse if there's one on your route, or one of the ubiquitous cell shops. The staff will be able to advise on the best plan for your needs and help you get everything set up properly. Happy travels!

Posted by
1021 posts

Vodaphone has a store in T5 on the departure level. Or go to the Carphone Warehouse in Windsor.

Posted by
1829 posts

Last time I looked the majority of vending machines at Heathrow were a bad deal, they had no call time loaded on the SIM. As has been said you can get free SIMS elsewhere, all you pay for is the call time you load on them. If you can, wait till you get to Windsor and visit the CPW. Their staff are very helpful and will advise on the best deal for your needs and set up the phone for you. Their website has a store finder. http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for all of your help! We are planning to go to the Carphone Warehouse in Windsor to get what we need. I appreciate all of your input.