Please sign in to post.

travel budgeting!

I'm wonder what everyone, especially those who have traveled to Europe recently, think is a reasonable budget for European travel. Obviously I know this can vary greatly, so here are a few details:

I'm planning on traveling with my husband next Fall. We plan to stay in hostels as much as possible, shared bathrooms are no problem, although more often then not we'd like our own room. I'm planning on spending most of our time in Eastern Europe since neither of us have been, but wouldnt mind seeing parts of Western Europe if time and $$ allow.

We are planning to go for at least a month, but two would be ideal...any insight is appreciated!

Posted by
1449 posts

Rick's book "Europe Thru the Back Door" is made for you. It is all about about travel planning and budgeting.

Posted by
769 posts

LuLU - check around this page further down - there have been many questions realted to budget travel that may also answer your question. You can also search at the top or also check the section on the main PLAN YOUR TRIP page for budget trips.

But as a whole - it seemed many feel 100-120$ per day per person without airlines. If you hostel its much less. Big cities are more expensive so if you can sleep in smaller towns outside - its also cheaper! To maximize you may also want to pick west or east - but maybe not both or else you spend more time enroute.

Also - get ricks book as he can expain the best places for whirlwind tours. Then its easier to get detail answers when you have a basic itenerary!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks! Sounds like I need to get Ricks book. I'll also poke around for some previous threads on the subject. I'm hoping to spend about $4000/month for the two of us, with a goal of going for 2 months.

Posted by
1717 posts

And acquire the book "Rick Steves' Eastern Europe".
And the Lonely Planet book on Eastern Europe, or Lonely Planet books on specific countries in Eastern Europe.