Please sign in to post.

111 years ago today - Sinking of the Titanic

The news reverberated around the world and the impact affected many countries, and families wealthy and poor.
Though I had learned about it in school on Canada's west coast the solemnity was really brought home on the late 1970's when in a large graveyard in Halifax, Nova Scotia. There were many history lessons learned there, but I never knew beforehand that there were so many graves of the Titanic's lost souls on Canadian soil. 121 stones stood in that special section. More are laid to rest in other city cemeteries.
This week cruise ships paid tribute, with wreaths or stopping over the spot, shutting down engines, gathering for a prayer on deck and minutes of silence.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Titanic

Posted by
4140 posts

Thanks for posting this . An understanding of history is necessary for appreciating travel . No matter the story , everything it touches brings travel to life

Posted by
32212 posts

Maria,

Thanks for the reminder. I've been fascinated by the Titanic story for much of my life, and watching this movie when I was a child really made an impression - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46B_l5onsbY .

I've been the cemetery in Halifax which was a very moving experience, and there are also some good displays in the Maritime Museum there.

Posted by
4574 posts

@Ken, I know the title but never saw the movie. While in that graveyard, I also learned about the Halifax Explosion....something they seemed to have missed in my B.C. curriculum. Another sobering event.
I have often enjoyed Maritime Museums. I made a point of visiting the one in Southampton UK in 2018 to read about the Titanic, and also Cunard, from that side of things.

Posted by
977 posts

My grandmother was due to travel from Ireland on the Titanic, but she was sick and unable to travel... and she came back on the Lusitania in the early spring of 1915. She used to light a candle on the dates of the sinking of both ships.

Posted by
4140 posts

Of the many films made about The Titanic tragedy , "A Night to Remember " is the best one . Like Ken , I first saw it in 1958 when I was twelve., and it has made a lasting impression on me ,as well . Interesting , that the linked version has been colorized . I am not a purist about that sort of technique , but I will say that in the original Black and White , the film imparts a certain sense of underlying despair that adds to its effect .

Posted by
32212 posts

Maria,

I had an excellent guide at both the Titanic cemetery and the Maritime Museum, so got a good description of both events. I vaguely recall that we were taught about the Halifax explosion in my BC high school.

After I posted last night, I remembered that a friend of my parents was on the Titanic. She was English and would have been a child at the time, but I can't remember any more details. I don't know her maiden name so wouldn't be able to find her on the survivor lists. I'm sorry that I didn't ask more questions of her at the time.

I agree with the previous reply, that the B&W version of A Night To Remember provided a more dismal perspective of the story. However I didn't mind watching the colourized version. The link that I provided above is the full length movie.

Posted by
4574 posts

@Francis, you are correct and that is quite a tragedy. Perhaps the Titanic is the largest single loss of life by natural disaster (?) I should have verified the statement I heard. There is bound to be some phrasing I missed. I do see there are several more with larger death tolls, generally by torpedos, explosives and one by capsizing due to 700 passengers over capacity.
I have edited out that sentence.